fishery report _ blencarn, penrith

Guest phil dean

Guest phil dean

after a frantic drive over the north penines I arrived just before lunch yesterday to find the surface litrally boiling with fish, the sky was full of damsel flies and the fish were having their fill

i set up, but had nothing resembling the fishes quarry but tried a blue zulu, nothing, but a friend a few pegs away had a take on a daddy longlegs, one quik change later and I was out again, after half an hour i was convinced that the fish were only interested in damselflies and my mind had started to wander, wso when the take came i was shocked, and missed it.

change of attaqck, I put on an olive, i fish surfaced within my range (a little over two FEET Posted Image), the fly was flicked over, in hope rather than belief, and hey presto, another take. The fish was on, but after a brief struggle involving a couple of jumps, it managed to throw the hook.

convinced that this was the fly of the day I went for a walk round the lake, a chap invited me to fish his peg, a beautiful swim, next to the inlet stream, he told me that fish had been rising all morning but he'd not had a take,

out went my trusty olive, five casts later and I was in, the fish burried itself in a blacket of weed, but the hook held and i managed to land the fish, weed and all.

i suggested that another friend may want to fish there and set off again to find another likely spot,

after a couple of hours wandering and blanking, i noticed that the peg next to cages had come free, i wandered over and asked the adjoining anglers what was working, daddy longlegs again, so after a few casts with the olive, the DL was put back on. after ten minutes, whilst watching my neighbour land a lovely 3 and a half pounder, i had a take....missed.

right that's it, time for a break and a drink to get my concentration back. Whilst relaxing a colleague came past with a limit (4) bag. I noticed a blue zulu with a buzzer was on his line and decided a change of rig.

Ten minutes later and i was fishing again. A call came from the lodge and i looked over, next thing i knew and the rod was nearly ripped from my grasp, the guys at the lodge nearly wet themselves laughing at the look of shock on my face. The buzzer had done it's work and a three pound rainbow was on. the fight lasted about 10 minutes, i was desperate not to apply too much pressure and lose this fish, eventually she came to the bank, beautiful in the sunshine.

I was soon out again on the same rig, nothing for 20 minutes then a splash to my left. I cast to it, noty far enough, i jerked my line to free it from the water ready for another cast, when the rod bent double, fish on.....

another five minute fight ensued, tailwalking and all before i finally landed a plump two pounder, 3 fish, I'd never made my bag at a venue before, could I do it, it was 7.15 and i had to go at 7.30,

another cast, a take straight away, but missed, cast again, nothing, and again nothing, it's now 7.25 and i really ought to go, one last cast.........suddenly the zulu was engulfed, I struck hard and met solid resistance, a run, a jump, my wrist was aching, but finally my fourth fish came in, about a pound and a half it wouldn't break any records but i'd done it.

I walked up to the lodge, the fish proudly held below me. I weighed in 8lb 9oz in four fish, burnt faced and feeling warm glow inside I set off home, one day I'll get the hang of this fly fishing, but even for a useless caster like me, it can still be great fun.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest Spiderfan

Nice one Phil! It sounds like you had a good day and, like all angling disciplines, you found that persistence pays . . . . eventually.

I'd agree that this is the time of year for damsels, with daddies just starting (though September is best). Buzzers are great throughout the season and I wouldn't be without a bunch of all three whenever I go.

Keep practicing with the casting but remember distance isnt everything - sometimes a gentle 'touchdown' is more important.

Guest Umber

Well done Phil, A good day out by the sound of it, Im quite envious but hope to get out myself Thursday or Friday or hopefully both. Will be on the river though after brownies. Posted Image

Guest Alan Roe

Phil well done! I'm deeply sorry that I could not join you but I wasn't able to shift that course and I was sitting there gnashing my teethat what might have been.

I will get in touch as soon as the rivers open over here and have you over for the day

Cheers

Alan