Specimen Trout

Guest Bridgey

Guest Bridgey

First can I point out that I'm not an avid game angler, my available time being split mainly between coarse and sea angling.

The reason for this post is that on Sunday evening I 'fluked' a fish on my local river whilst Barbel fishing with Luncheon Meat. It was a Brown Trout and weighed 5 pounds 14 ounces. This follows another Brownie weighing 4 pounds 2 ounces I caught a month or so ago.

My question: is this a specimen? I know that these fish can grow much bigger in Scottish lochs, but these are generally refered to as "Ferox Trout". I've not heard of wild Trout of this size being caught in rivers.

How big can/ do they grow in a river environment? is there any official or unnoficial record?

By the way, this is a relatively unknown small/ medium river in the North West.

I welcome any replies on this subject.

Regards

Guest phil dean

It really depends where you are fishing, much like course fishing

a 6lb barbel from the severn is nothing special but from the river wear it's a specimen.

same goes for trout, for me a 2lb brownie is a good fish and a 5lb would be the fish of dreams, but if you're fishing a stocked lake with Brownies put in at 10lb, obviousley a 5lb fish is nothing to write home about.

ask your local shops of what sizer is usually expected, but for me i would just say well done, an excellent fish and well worth a photo in the crap book.

is that any use?

phil

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SAMCATGETTER

Hey Bridgey, Greetings to you from across the big water. You have had a couple of nice browns there, but browns can grow to much larger size as Im sure you're aware. Here in my home state of Michigan,USA. Our state record is 34lb.7oz. We have here what is called a "Master Angler" award and the minimum entry must be 33inches and/or 16lb. These browns are mostly caught in the great lakes, but we also have fish in these size ranges that go upstream in rivers from the lakes and are commonly caught there. Browns 10to15lbs. are very common here. But they are not our biggest trout. Our present Lake trout record is 61lbs.8oz. which is also the exact weight of our state carp record. Sad to say for this carp though some fool with a bow and arrow shot and destroyed this fine fish. Our hook and line record carp is 45lbs. Good luck on more browns in the future...Sam