hooks

Guest john

Guest Alan Roe

In a word fashion!! and its as simple as that..Having said that down eyed hooks are easier to tie parachute hackled flies on..

Guest Colin Brett

Originally posted by john:

why are dry fly hooks 'up'and wet ones 'down'?

Used to be that way 20 years ago and some people still believe it! All the trout fishers I know [and that's quite a lot] use downeyed hooks for all their flies.

Hope this helps,

Colin

thanks,but all to do with tradition,seems more like a selling point for the manufacturers to me,if its only tradition.surely someone once said,"oh,i'll turn the eye up(or down)"why???

Guest Colin Brett

Originally posted by john:

thanks,but all to do with tradition,seems more like a selling point for the manufacturers to me,if its only tradition.surely someone once said,"oh,i'll turn the eye up(or down)"why???

Could it be that the eye acts like the vane on a plug? Thus keeping the fly on top when you pull your line. Floatants were probably not so hot when tradition was invented.

Colin

Colin

Colin could be on the right lines here. I suppose a down eye would help to drag the wet fly beneath the surface and an up eye keep the line away from the dry fly to a certain extent. Never thought much about it before but its something to think about.