Learnt this season

Guest Umber

Well thats the trout season over for until next year so its on to the grayling and the rainbows in our new pool. Have I learnt anything new this past season? Well yes I have. Earlier on in the year I inquired about furled leaders and thanks to Alan (Roe) I obtained some and have been using them all season and I must say they do all that is claimed for them. They turn over beautifully and accuracy has never been better (as far as I am concerned) anyway. I have only used the mono type and only on rivers so far, but now I shall be able to give them a go on the pool. I am going to try the thread type on the grayling this autumn. I will let you know how they perform. Has anyone else learnt anything new?

Guest Spiderfan

Hi Umber,

With this year being just my 3rd season, I’d like to think that my game fishing skills are still on a general learning curve - hopefully in the ‘up’ direction. My results seem to bear this out, as my catch-rate has become more consistent in the main, probably due to better casting and improved tying of flies.

As to your question, I think the one thing I’ve done this year that, more than anything else, has achieved that consistency is to persevere more with a given pattern of fly and work harder with the presentation and speed/method of retrieve. In the early days, I was looking too hard at what was on the end of the line rather than thinking how it appeared in the water, so I was probably spending more time changing flies than fishing them!

‘The wrong fly at the right depth will catch more fish than the right fly at the wrong depth’ is very true, oh so true!

Anyhow, I reckon I’ll still be learning to flyfish when I’ve got less teeth in my head than flies on my leader!

So you’re a furled leader convert, eh? I’ve read about them but never used one. Have you got any interesting links that I could have a browse round?

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Spiderfan, the best link would be to Alan Roe who put me on to them. I had a computer down some time ago and lost the address I got them from. I shall need some more so I will be interested too. I have been using two sizes on the rivers, five foot and three foot. The latter on a small river with overgrown banks and a canopy of trees where it coped very well.Give them a try I think you will like them. Is the name because you like arachnids or because you are a fan of the north country type of flies? If you type furled leaders into Google some pages do come up which are of interest.

Guest Darth_codhead

What i have Learnt this season is that i want to get back in to fly fishing

the river Don here is full of wild Brown Trout to 7lb+

and as we all no the only way to catch one thay size is on a dry fly

Is this true or not

Darth

Darth, I would not say that statement is true. It is said that 90% of a trouts food is taken sub-surface and in the rivers I fish it seems to be true. 7lb wild browns are some fish and if you have access to them you are very lucky indeed. You can fish the dry fly of course but you may have more success with a nymph or a wet. If you can find out what flies are prevalent on your river copy the nymph and have a go. Welcome back to fly fishing.

Guest Spiderfan

Originally posted by Umber:

Is the name because you like arachnids or because you are a fan of the north country type of flies?

At the time when I was 'researching' my step into flyfishing, I was impressed by the tradition which surrounds North Country spiders, figuring that they'd stood the test of time, they'd catch fish across a wide variety of circumstances and were relatively simple to tie myself.

In fact, I'm still amazed when a fish takes a size 16 black magic spider (my personal favourite) as it seems so insignificant in my eyes!

I'll have a root around for some furled leader gumpf, thanks.

------------------

Fan of Spiders

[This message has been edited by Spiderfan (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest Duncan

Spiderfan,

The best info on furled leaders is in Darrel Martin,s book Micropatterns (ISBN 1 85310 542 2), it goes into great detail of how to actually make leaders and the equipment used. It looks fairly simple and a possible DIY project. I’ve used furled leaders for about 5 years and for fishing the dry fly, delicately there great.

Paul Morgan @ Coch-y-bonddu books will probably have a copy – recommended reading.

The guy who makes my leaders at the moment is Alan Bethall, I’ll root out is contact details and post them up.

There are some great books on North Country Patterns, I’ll also drop a reading list into the next post.

Please don’t forget that Clyde Style patterns are also brilliant and Stewart Style also.

If you want any further info send me a pm

Got to go

Duncan

Thanks Duncan for jogging the old memory Posted Image Alan Bithell is the one who made furled leaders for me. Phone 07740 244739. I found some plans for boards to make your own on the net but did not keep the addresses but easy enough to find I should think. Spiderfan, Glad you still use the old spiders, I do too, in fact I still use a lot of the older patterns, they work for me so why change. Posted Image

Guest Duncan

Spiderfan,

A quick reading List easily available in original or reprint:

Firstly a pair of Classics

1. T. R. Pritt – North Country Flies – The Classic

2. H.H. Edmonds & N.N. Lee - Brook & River Trouting

A Modern Classic

1. Roger Fogg – A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies

Scottish Specials

1. W.C. Stewart – The Practical Angler

2. W.H. Lawrie – The Book of the Rough Stream Nymph

3. John Reid – Clyde Style Flies (And Their dressings) – a bit rarer but fined able.

I would say these are the definitive books (readily available) on North Country & Scottish spider Patterns.

What does anybody else think ( Nowt silly like Theakston et al)

It’s a pleasant change to find an angler who appreciates the traditions. As before any further info you need, give me a pm

Cheers & get tying

Duncan

Originally posted by Darth_codhead:

What i have Learnt this season is that i want to get back in to fly fishing

the river Don here is full of wild Brown Trout to 7lb+

and as we all no the only way to catch one thay size is on a dry fly

Is this true or not

Darth

Darth,

Am I right in thinking you are talking about the river Don in Sheffield? If so I would like to know where i can find some large wild brown trout locally, as i have only had the pleasure up in Scotland.

In anticipation,

Alan.......