Getting back in to fly fishing

Guest Darth_codhead

Guest Darth_codhead

I am thinking of getting some fly tackle for small srteam work

i have seen a reel SH with 3 spools with line for £20

is a 9" rod to big for small streams (£10)

what tackle do i need for fly tying apart from the vice, Hackle pliers and the thing you wip the head on with and the basics

------------------

Sheffield online sea fishing club

http://www.sheffield.i85.net

Darth

Guest Cranfield

Darth, A fly rod is rated by line weight. For example the lower the line rating the lighter the rod. An average weight will be 6 to 8 this will handle most fly fishing situations. 9 ft is a good average length also (mine are all 9.5 ft).

I cannot comment on the reel except to say that any reel for £10 is probably a reasonable buy. You will have to suss out which fly lines are on the spools, floating,sinking etc.

I strongly suggest you sort out the basics before tying your own flies.They are much harder than cod & whiting rigs .

Hope that helps a bit.

Darth,How small is your small stream? I fish a small river and use a 7ft 9in 4 weight rod as the trout do not run very big. On bigger rivers I use a 8ft 6in weight 5, these suit me and only on lakes do I use a 9ft rod. Of course everyone has their own preference.Having said that a rod and reel for £30 cannot be bad. What weight line does it take?

Guest Darth_codhead

The reel i will get i may look a round for a rod as most of the rivers are very small with lots of bushes and the trout are sweet to eat.

i have used a fly rod before many times

as for the fly tying i have done it a bit before

i am just getting ready for next march

------------------

Sheffield online sea fishing club

http://www.sheffield.i85.net

Darth