Fluff flinging

Guest fisherman

Guest fisherman

Alright then gang, as a compleat new comer of this sort of thing,I had a go in Cornwall this year and had a ball. Caught 2 good rainbows on my first attempt, nothing after mind, just beginners luck, my questions are.

1) Are wets easier to use than dries for a novice ?

2)How long would you reccomend the tippet to be on a nine foot sinking leader, (the line is 7F)?

3)Would you reccomend trying to tie your own flies or buy from a good source ? How much would you pay for your flies ?

4)What is a good average price to pay for a days fishing?

Hows that little lot for starters. Posted Image Posted Image

Dave

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

[This message has been edited by fisherman (edited 22 October 2001).]

Hi Fisherman,

I can only speak from my own experience (of which I have little), I found dries easier to use than wets, partly because you get a visual indication of a take, not disimilar to watching a float.

I tend to use a tippet of around 3ft on a leader of 9-10ft stepping up in breaking strain every 3ft, so I have a leader which starts off at 15lbs then 10lbs, and finally the tippet which is 6lbs.

I will only use flies which I have tied myself, as these last much longer than shop bought flies (some of which are 2yrs old and still catching fish, sharpening the point fom time to time) where as shop bought flies fall to pieces after a couple of fish!

You can also make your flies to your own individual needs, IE weight, size, colour, ETC. Also home made flies are much cheaper, after the initial outlay of your materials and some basic equipment. If you do decide to tie your own, try and decide which patterns you would like to tie before hand, say 10 patterns, as this will be more cost effective, then buy your materials accordingly. The thrill of catching a trout on one of your home made creations is second to none!

As far as prices go, I have paid anything from £5 upto £20 for a days fishing , but the average would probably be £10 or £12.

I hope this has been of help to you?

Guest fisherman

Cheers Rabid, that gives me plenty to think about. Looks like I shall settle in for the winter months practicing tying flies.

Looking forward to next year to give it another go. Posted Image

Dave

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Spiderfan

Hi Guys,

Rabid, given than Fisherman, like you and me both, will be tying flies over the coming winter months, which 10 patterns would you suggest he gets stuck into?

My choice, in no particular order, would probably be:

1. Flexifloss buzzer

2. GRHE (gold ribbed hare’s ear)

3. Montana

4. Shuttlecock buzzer

5. PTN (pheasant tail nymph)

6. Black Magic Spider

7. Fritz Damsel

8. Cats Whisker

9. EHC (Elk Hair Caddis)

10. Black Pennel

I’d also like to include a couple more traditional patterns like the Mallard and Claret or the Cormorant along with a few North Country spiders like the Partridge and Orange or the Snipe and Purple. But the above patterns alone would produce a sizeable list of materials if starting from scratch.

Fisherman, you are walking through the door of flytying and entering an entirely different world from that which you knew before. Welcome!

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Guest fisherman

Hi there Spider, the only thing I have found that I hate about fly fishing is that I have no where to do it loaclly. Well that is a little white lie. There is one place but they charge, wait for it. £20 per day plus £2.50 per lb. for the fish you catch. Just have to wait for Cornwall and my annual trek there for some proper fly fishing.

All the best

Dave

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Hi Spiderfan,

My ten patterns would have to be as follows-

1 Damsel Nymph

2 Zonker

3 Black Pennell

4 Elk Hair Sedge

5 Montana

6 Palomino Buzzer

7 Orange Fritz

8 Concrete Bowl

9 Grey Duster

10 Cove Pheasant Tail

These are in no particular order, with the exception of the Damsel Nymph, which is my favorite pattern (so far)!!!

Many happy hours await you at the tying vice Fisherman, ENJOY!

Spiderfan, thats a bit of a poser, but heres my choice in no particular order and by no means exhaustive

Damsel nymph

Black and peacock spider

GRHE

Pheasant tail nymph

Adams

Greenwells glory

Partridge and orange

Red tag

Royal wulff

Blue winged olive.

Told you I am a traditionalist Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Umber (edited 25 October 2001).]

HI Guy’s

I suppose my 10 patterns would be:

March Brown Spider

Blae & Harelug

Partridge & Orange

GRHE – Winged

Greenwells

Blue Upright

Grey Duster

Klinkhammer

PTN

GRHE Nymph

Fisherman – tie your own, there is a greater satisfaction in catching a fish on one of your own creations than a shop bought. Plus by collecting the occasional road kill you can find some rarer materials than is available in the shops.

I note that you live on the Isle of Wight why not take a trip over to Hampshire and fish the rivers in winter for grayling. The Rod Box in Kings Worthy (01962 883600 ) have tickets for beats on the Itchen.

Cheers

Duncan

Guest fisherman

Hi Duncan, the one thing I miss most of all since moving to the Island is good river fishing. I used to live in Hereford, had a couple of great rivers to fish then, the Wye and the Lugg, plus loads of pools . Nowhere seems to far on the mainland but now at £50 just to get off the Island it really does make for a dear day trip. Was looking to go Kent or something a few weeks back but, work stopped all that. Never mind I will get there one day.

Tight lines

Dave

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

[This message has been edited by fisherman (edited 25 October 2001).]

Guest Spiderfan

Originally posted by fisherman:

Nowhere seems to far on the mainland but now at £50 just to get off the Island it really does make for a dear day trip.

Hi Dave,

What are your local bass stocks like? And pollack, mackerel etc? Even flounder on woolly bugger patterns . . .

It could be that you have the opportunity to indulge yourself with some serious saltwater flyfishing fun.

Of course, you'd be talking an entirely different set of flies to those we've mentioned above!

------------------

Fan of Spiders