electro fishing

Guest jonesbob2

Guest jonesbob2

does anyone know where i can find information on electro fishing and how to make one, or, what voltage is needed to stun fish in order to net them?

------------------

bj

Guest Vagabond

Many years ago I used to help the local River Board (as it was then) to electrofish. I would give the following advice.

1/ I'm sure the Environmental Agency would give you appropriate information once they were convinced you had a valid reason for asking.

2/ I would strongly advise against attempting to make a home-made electrofishing device. Direct Current and water is a pretty nasty combination unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing (as opposed to thinking you know). The voltages across the electrodes can be anything from 220 up to 700, so if incorrectly handled it is the operator that might turn belly up ! If you survived you still might be in trouble legally for using an unauthorised device.

3/ In electrofishing you AVOID stunning the fish - you net them as they swim towards the anode, well before they encounter stunning voltages - the difference between stunning voltage and killing voltage is small, and in any case stunning may be associated with permanent damage even if the fish "comes round".

4/ The voltage required to move fish towards the anode (called the body potential) varies according to species, and more importantly, with the size of the fish.

For what purpose do you need this information?

------------------

Vagabond

• 7 years later...

To whom this may concern

My name is Ryno van Niekerk from South Africa and I am hoping someone can give me advice on how to make a electro fishing device for a boat. I have a 2.5Kva generator and just need the specifications on how to connect whatever is needed for catching carp out of my trout dams.

Thanx

Your best option for getting a good answer is to ask your country's fishing authority since they will use electroshock for population sampling and know what works best.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Your best option for getting a good answer is to ask your country's fishing authority since they will use electroshock for population sampling and know what works best.

Exactly, see my No 2 post above.

Dunno about SA but unauthorised electrofishing is illegal in the UK, and in the wrong hands can be lethal, not just to the fish, but to the operator as well.

Get professional advice and proper authorisation.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Here too Vagabond. Highly illegal and good for some jail time.

Back in the day the old hand cranked telephones (turn the crank to generate enough power to light up the operator's switchboard light) were perfect. Drop the wires in the water, crank until you started to see fish float up, and stop.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President