More Fly Fishing Stuff On AN?

Guest Elton

Is it worth me sourcing more fly-fishing content for Anglers' Net? I'm aware that the site is very coarse fishing oriented at the moment, but would more fly-fishing be of interest to you?

Tight lines,

Elton

Elton, There certainly seems to be an upsurge of interest in fly fishing at the moment so it would seem to be a worthwhile thing to do. Many people equate fly fishing with game fishing so to bring it to the fore for coarse fishing would be all to the good IMO. Most coarse fish can be caught on the fly and at the moment there is a lot of interest in fly fishing for pike. Worth a go.

Guest Alan Roe

Elton I am primarily a game angler mainly river trouting. I can supply the odd article but it will have to wait for a week or two as I am Bombed out at the moment

I have always done some fly fishing. Not by any means the majority of my angling but it is fun and I never really get away from it. I'd love to see more info - and especially oriented towards fish other than trout.

I'm sure we could convince Nightwing to contribute as he does mostly fly fishing for everything he targets which has included some large carp.

Guest Colin Brett

Originally posted by Umber:

Elton, There certainly seems to be an upsurge of interest in fly fishing at the moment so it would seem to be a worthwhile thing to do. Many people equate fly fishing with game fishing so to bring it to the fore for coarse fishing would be all to the good IMO. Most coarse fish can be caught on the fly and at the moment there is a lot of interest in fly fishing for pike. Worth a go.

I would certainly like a bit more content on fly fishing. There are quite a few fly fishers out there. Ref Pike on the fly, I have recently put up a site for this at www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk if anyone is interested. Elton I have put a link to Anglers Net on the links page.

Colin

Elton,

There is definitely an upsurge in fly-fishing for what are erroneously classed as non-game fish. This is happening in both fresh & salt water around the UK.

There is noticeably growth in fresh water fly-fishing for pike, perch, carp, chub plus the silver species.

Fly fishing in UK salt water is virtually untapped, I have been fly-fishing around the coast for about 5 years now and have never seen another angler fishing the same way. The potential for some fabulous fishing for bass, pollack, mackerel, sea trout and the British bonefish – mullet, is there, and if you are really up for it there is even the possibility for fly-fishing for shark.

In the rest of Europe anglers have been fly-fishing in the Baltic for some years so there is a knowledge base out there and a forum is a great place to tap into that knowledge base, and worldwide fly-fishing for sport species is a rapidly growing area.

I think a forum more dedicated to fly-fishing in general will be great interest.

Duncan

Originally posted by Duncan:

I think a forum more dedicated to fly-fishing in general will be great interest.

Duncan

I could just re-name this one.

All in favour, please say so.

Elton

Elton, I agree, It would most likely generate more postings to the forum and at the same time dispel a few misconceptions about fly fishing. such as "Its a rich mans sport", its in some way elitist,its difficult etc. etc. It would also solve the problem of where to post as mentioned by Newt. Fly fishing is just another method or discipline if you like, which some of us simply prefer. I should look forward to learning more on salt water fishing etc. ATB.

[This message has been edited by Umber (edited 25 November 2001).]