What do you fly fish for?

Guest Duncan

Hi,

I’ve been fly fishing for over 35 years now and in that time my “I like to catch list” has increased from the normal “game fish” – grayling, trout, sea trout & salmon to any fish that will take a fly/lure in both fresh and salt water predominantly in the UK.

Can I start this newly renamed forum off with this thread, who fly fish’s? What do you primarily fish for? And have you ever thought about fly-fishing for other species?

If we can generate some interest I’ll see if we can arrange an alternative species FlyFish-In next year, perhaps in the salt water so we can justify the jolly to “she/him who must occasionally be listened to”, by taking her/him to the seaside for a grand day out.

Duncan

Well I am principly a trout fisher in the season fishing the small rivers on the Welsh borders,I also fish a small syndicated brown and rainbow still water throughout the year. Out of the trout season I fly fish for grayling mainly but also chub dace and perch. Barbel are now populating the Vyrnwy so I intend to make an effort for them as well. Anyone got any tips on barbel fly fishing? I have never targetted carp but it sounds interesting. ATB.

Guest TheDacer

I know nowt about fly-fishing (but I'm starting to learn!) - however, I know a little bit about Barbel... so if the technique of Fly fishing allows, I'd try dropping a fly in a nice deepish looking pool.

Is the Vyrnwy anything like the Severn around about Newtown? If so there must also be some excellent shallows - ideal for the Barbel in the summer I'd imagine.

Guest Mike Connor

Basically I will fish for anything that swims. I fish the Baltic quite a lot, for seatrout, cod, mackerel, and garfish, and have even had an occasional flatfish!. Trout, grayling, dace, chub, zander, perch, pike, bream, eels, carp and quite a few other fish will take flies alright. Of all these, carp are probably the hardest, and cod the easiest to catch. Techniques and flies differ considerably of course! Posted Image

Tight lines!

Mike Connor

------------------

Guest Nightwing

Over on the coarse forum, I submited a "life list" topic, I think I have about 55-60 species. I have taken all but a handfull on fly gear.

Guest Cranfield

I fly fish for trout ,salmon and sea trout.

I have caught carp on a fly rod,floating line and chum mixer (not a fly).

I have also caught roach, rudd, perch and a small tench, while fishing for trout.

Apart from the carp, I have never deliberately targeted "coarse"fish fly fishing.

Guest phil dean

I'm pretty knew to this, but have had trout perch and chub on fly, the latter two mainly because most of my practicing has been done in a course water.

It was great fun but bemused the usual dog walkers. Posted Image

Hopefully Nick in the North will respond, if you search on the sea thread you'll see that he's had some thumping pollack......there was also talk of mullet on fly on the sea forum.

It's great to see the new name for this forum, and to sea dacer's been on, it's not just the reserve of the rich and famous....thank god.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I guess I am somewhat odd here. I have taken trout (brownies and the occasional rainbow) but only on u/l spinning gear.

My fly fishing is mostly for sunfish although other species will take the same flies on occasion. In the pre-spinning rod days (yes, there really was a time when they didn't exist Posted Image) I also fished for largemouth bass using a large wet fly and usually with a spinner mounted just in front.

Sunfish (bluegill and other similar) are great on fly rod too. You don't have to match anything too closely. My usual is a floating bit of balsa wood painted white, green, yellow, or occasionally red with some hair over a 12 or 14 hook. This serves to catch some and as a nice float for a foam bodied spider with several pieces of white rubber acting as legs. In the US south, this is such a standard combo that it is referred to as a popping bug and breamer (bream being our generic term for a whole variety of sunfish species). The floating piece has a cupped front and makes a nice little popping sound when you twitch it.