More Help needed on Fly Tackle

Guest TheDacer

Guest TheDacer

I've seen a cheap but nice feeling fly rod - it's 8' long with an AFTM of 4/5.

Am I right in thinking that this rod would match up - if I were to buy a reel with spare spools - with one spool loaded with a 4 wt line and one with a 5 wt line?

And if both of these lines were double-taper - any suggestion as to what I could or should put on the third spool?

I'd be fishing exclusively on rivers and for Coarse fish.

Also, should a leader length more or less match up to the rod length - or should it match more to the conditions? (The rivers in question being pretty snaggy and very heavily tree-lined)

Also - so many questions! - do I tie the leader to the line more or less permanently or chop and change the leader as I might chop and change bait?

Guest Cranfield

I,ll risk replying to you, despite the "centrepin" confusion.

Buy a reel with three spare spools.

It is usual to load the spools with different types of fly line.

Say; 1) Floating line.

2) Slow sinking line.

3) Intermmediate line.

You could also have fast sinking/shooting heads etc.

Normally, the longer leader length you can efficiently cast is best.

In conditions that you describe ,I suspect you will be lucky to get longer than 5/6 ft.

You can buy braided leaders that fit on the end of your flyline. They are a matter of inches long. At the end they have a loop and you tie your mono leader to that.

The braided leader stays on the line for as long as you want.

All of the above is ,either what I do ,or my opinion.

I am sure other people do other things and have other opinions.

If it wasn,t raining hard I would be fishing !! Posted Image

Guest Spiderfan

Dacer,

Rods with a rating range normally perform better with the heavier weight line, in your case, a #5.

If your reel has a couple of spare spools, I'd recommend you getting a floater, an intermediate and a sinking line, all 5-weight. This will allow you to cover more bases.

As a beginner, a good rule of thumb is to keep your leader length shorter than the length of your rod as it will make landing fish a lot easier.

You can get 'braided leader loops' which fit the end of your flyline providing a loop to tie your leader to. I'll leave leader make-up for your next question, seeing as you obviously like asking them . . . . (LOL)

(Crossed messages, Cranfield! You were posting while I was typing! Brilliant minds . . . )

------------------

Fan of Spiders

[This message has been edited by Spiderfan (edited 29 November 2001).]

Guest Steve Burke

I agree with Spiderfan, on an overgrown river you won't be aerialising much line so go for a heavier weight one to balance the rod.

Personally I'm not a fan of double taper lines, but I'll keep quiet as I expect most others with more experience than me will disagree.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest TheDacer

Well now I'm dying to ask.. so I will!

What's wrong with or, if you're so inclined, what's best about Double Taper lines?

(And what is one Posted Image)

Guest Steve Burke

When you cast a fly you are in reality casting the line. This line will be thin near the leader for delicacy and thicker further back for extra casting weight.

However, the exact shape of the line will vary from type to type. With a double taper line each end is thin with a thicker section in the middle. In fact a double taper line is symmetrical, and you'll often read that it can be reversed.

In practice in river fishing, especially overgrown ones, I've never needed to aerialise more than half the line (even if there's space to do so), and long casts are seldom needed or even possible.

I therefore prefer to use just half a double taper line, otherwise called a single taper line. A number of good fly fishing shops will sell these, even if they just cut a double taper line in half. Alternatively buy a double taper line and cut it in half yourself. Keep it as spare or share it with a friend.

The advantage of this is the lighter weight of the fly line plus you can use a smaller, lighter reel which balances the rod better. Both make fly fishing less tiring and more enjoyable, especially for those like me who are disabled.

When it comes to stillwaters, especially reservoirs, a double taper line won't cast as far as other types, and this is often likely to be important on such waters. Here you're better off with a different type of line such as a weight-forward or a shooting head.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

Guest Steve Burke

Excellent post, Mike.

The only point I'd differ on is the advice to use the lighter line in this particular context. If on a stillwater I'd agree with you. However, on an overgrown river you're going to aerialise only a short length of line. I feel you therefore need the heavier line to compensate.

OTOH, I'm a terrible fly caster, so what do I know!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

Both the above posts Mikes and Steves are excellent One thing I would add is that if as you say the river is bushy and or overgrown, snaggy and tree lined I would go for a double taper or single taper for its ability to roll cast. A very useful cast in those situations. On one river I fish its 90% roll casting. ATB.

Guest Steve Burke

Good point, Umber. The roll cast was in fact the first I was taught. Once learned, it made other casts easy.

A little while later I met my instructor again when we both fished the same water. He said, "Who taught you to double haul?". I didn't know I was doing it, let alone what it was called! It just sort of happened. Shows I had a good teacher!

Provided you get expert instruction fly casting to a modest standard isn't as difficult as many fear. Without the instruction it's difficult to "unlearn" bad habits. I'd also strongly recommend a refresher lesson soon after you start for this reason.

I can see the advantages of shooting heads and Mike's system makes good sense. Unfortunately, with my lack of grip I found the thin line too difficult to handle firmly, particularly when doing a figure-of-eight. For that reason I preferred weight forward lines.

One thing I did find was that a braided leader was very helpful, especially as when they came out I was even less proficient than I am now.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries