More Help needed on Fly Tackle

Guest TheDacer

Guest Steve Burke

Originally posted by Mike Connor:

There is no such thing as "balancing" a fly-rod. Fly rods cast best of all without a reel attached in the first place.  The lightest reel available is always the best choice.

People who "break" their wrists when casting normally, often try to compensate for this mistake by using a reel which "balances" the rod at some mythical point above the handle, etc etc.

If you do not break your wrist, then the rod and your forearm are one continuous unbroken lever, and then there is nothing to "balance".

Adding weight, simply makes it more difficult to cast. Reducing the weight, makes it easier. This includes the line weight !!!!

When I mentioned balance I wasn't talking about balancing a rod at a fulcrum point, I was referring to suitability. There's little point in using a light rod with a heavy reel.

In fact this question of rods having to balance at a fulcrum point is at best purely an illusion. I've pointed out before when discussing lure rods that such a combination waves about like a see-saw making it more, not less, tiring to use.

I therefore totally agree about using the lighest reel possible. (It's also surprising how much a double taper line weighs.) With a muscle weakening illness this is only too apparent. If anyone's in a position to judge, I am!

To prove this yourself strip off the line you need and put the reel in your pocket. Or even better take an old fly line and tie the end to your belt. The rod will feel so much lighter and becomes a joy to use.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Originally posted by Mike Connor:

The stuff seems rotproof, invulnerable to sunlight etc, and lasts for ages. I have used the same tippet for half a season without problems. It does start to fray a bit eventually.   The stuff I have is even impossible to cut with scissors. You have to saw away at it for ages, before it parts. A very sharp knife works. But the stuff will even blunt a surgical steel filleting knife quite quickly.

Mike - you might want to consider getting a ceramic blade knife. Way harder than any steel blade and just about won't go dull. Should make short work of the kevlar line. Not cheap though.

Some typical ones Here.

Guest Steve Burke

Mike, thanks for all these useful comments. I've both learnt from them plus they've given me a few ideas. Now you're posting here regularly don't you dare disappear!