winter grayling fishing...........what's your preferred set up

Guest phil dean

Guest phil dean

that's it really, all help appreciated Posted Image

(BTW saw a John Wilson program last week, a near 2lb roach on the fly when grayling/trout fishing)

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Most of my grayling fishing was done on the Upper Severn on the free Severn Trent stretch near Welshpool. I never had a lot of success on the float here so I caught most of mine on a small drennan maggot feeder fishing 1 or 2 maggots on a size 20 with 1.5lb or 2lb bottom on either 3lb or 4lb main line. I tended to fish either a 1oz or 1.5oz quivertip on my Drennan Medium Feeder depending on the flow. I found that feeding a lot actually seemed to reduce the catch so after a few loose fed maggots early on to get some bait in the swim I normally put less than 20 maggots in the feeder and loose fed very little. This only really worked once the minnow shoals had disappeared however. If they were still active then you barely ever even saw a grayling!

Whoops, sorry. I just noticed that this is in the fly fishing forum so my previous comments were completely superflous. Still, I'll leave them there for when you awkward buggers get back to fishing for them properly when you can't catch them Posted Image

Guest Mike Connor

9 foot #4 weight. Depends on the targets really. For surface feeders practically any of the "standard" grayling flies like "red tag" etc, will often work. My own favourite pattern is a hares ear body with a badger hackle. Works great. Sometimes very effective indeed, and largely ignored by many river fishers, is a chironomid ( buzzer ) pattern. My favourite is stripped peacock quill, a peacock herl thorax, and a few fibres of whit antron as breathing filaments.

For large "non-risers", a well weighted grizzly woolly bugger on a #6 long shank fished very slowly on the bottom in the deep holes, takes some beating. Add a red or green wool tail to a couple. This sometimes makes a big difference. Use arctic fox instead of marabou. This is more mobile, tougher, and has a better action.

TL

MC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phil dean

thanks for that, i hope the river's in some sort of form this weekend and I'll have a go.

DavidP, post wherever you want, one day you'll try flicking the fluff I'm sure, but apparently the real addiction comes when you tie your own.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY