Venues Nr Tavistock

Guest rabid

Hi all and a happy new year to you.

I will be in tavistock in a few weeks time and I was hoping someone could suggest a couple of trout venues that I could try.

Right I,m off to do a spot of fly tying.

All the best,

Alan.....

Not open until a bit later, but you must visit Endsleigh. This was the Duke of Bedfords holiday cottage (!!!) and is now a wonderful bit of hidden history. Functions as a hotel (one phone and no telly and no credit cards) but heavily geared to angling. They have about ten beats of the Tamar, and have salmon, sea trout and brown trout fishing. If you stay at the hotel, you can usually by prior arrangement get a beat from one of the syndicate members from about 30 squid a day. Brilliant location, but you need to deep wade (and in some places, be very brave). They really know how to lay on a packed lunch. Magnificent. The atmosphere, scenery and location are better than the fishing, but so what. Step back in time. (remember to take your tweeds and a couple of spaniels). If you want to check it out, you can park in a visitors car park and wander about. If you need contact details email me.

Thanks for the info Salar, I'm affraid that unless it involves a stick float then rivers are out for me, it seems like much hard work for little reward.

But having said that I will take a look at the "holiday cottage" to see how the other half live!