Translation Needed

Guest Newt

It is somewhere between difficult and impossible to get a good long spinning rod in the US.

I have decided to build myself a couple of rods for carp and catfish - partly for the fun of it.

The only blanks available in the lengths I want are listed as fly rod blanks but with rings, handle, and such for fixed spool rods, they should work.

I need to get an approximation though. The fly rod blanks list with line weight and I need to get an idea of test curve.

Can anyone make a reasonable guess at the T/C of a rod designed for 10/11 weight line?

Guest Colin Brett

Originally posted by Newt:

It is somewhere between difficult and impossible to get a good long spinning rod in the US.  

I have decided to build myself a couple of rods for carp and catfish - partly for the fun of it.

The only blanks available in the lengths I want are listed as fly rod blanks but with rings, handle, and such for fixed spool rods, they should work.

I need to get an approximation though.  The fly rod blanks list with line weight and I need to get an idea of test curve.

Can anyone make a reasonable guess at the T/C of a rod designed for 10/11 weight line?

Newt,

Have a look at the harrison website perhaps they may have what you need and then import them from here! It would make a change from us importing from the US. Also makes a change to perhaps have something over here that someone else in the world needs. Who said the manufacturing industry was dead here?

Colin [in jest]

Colin - I thought of that. I also thought of the 2 or 3 specialty tackle shops in the US that mail order and carry Euro gear.

My problem is a matter of long habit. The UK long rods I've had a chance to try cast beautifully. However, they flex almost back to the handle and that just isn't comfortable for me. They feel sorta "mushy" with a fish on.

I grew up on lure rods which at their slowest flex to about mid-rod (as these particular fly rod blanks do).

Most of our lure rods flex to either the tip 1/4 (extra-fast) or the tip 1/3 (fast) and the slowest you can easily buy flex to about the center (moderate).

At my age (57) I'd rather adjust the rod to me than the other way round. Posted Image

Guest Nightwing

Newt, there are lots of long(12-14ft) spinning rods available. Almost every shop up my way caries them, the standard Steelhead spinnin rod is 10-12 feet. Look at G.Loomis, St. Croix, Lamiglass, Reddington, All Star, Fenwick, just to name a few. Rod blanks are also widly available, often from the same companies mentiond above. St. Croix, in particular, offers blanks to 12 ft in a number of actions, including some wonderfull fast(primary bend in top 1/3 of rod) actions. Also, look at blanks designed for Spey fly rods(again, widly available here and on the west coast for salmon/steelhead). I have seen spey blanks to 16ft! They have a much stiffer, faster action than typical fly rods, tending toward the med-med/hvy end if built into a spinning rod.

I will dig up some links and send them your way.

Thanx Nightwing. The Spey blanks were the only ones listed in the Cabela's thing that looked reasonable.

BTW - what in the world is a Spey rod?

I think the long rods must be more common up there in steelhead country. Down here is mostly bass, catfish, and short, broomstick action stuff. Posted Image

The only thing I would be likely to find locally (except for surf stuff) would be a crappie whip or something.

Guest Duncan

Originally posted by Newt:

BTW - what in the world is a Spey rod?

Newt,

As ever with fly fishing the info available is huge. Have a look at Ally Gowans Site to get an understanding of what Spey Casting is, and why it was developed.

http://www.dspace.dial.pipex.com/ally.gowa...Fly_Casting.htm

There is a couple of sites regarding Spey Rod design

http://www.geocities.com/speypages/rods.htm http://www.scottflyrod.com/sfr/Rods/dh-powrarc.htm

Hope these are of help but theres a load more on goggle search under spey casting and spey casting rod design

Ps What a crappie whip - the mind boggles

Wishing you a happy 2002

Duncan

[This message has been edited by Duncan (edited 03 January 2002).]

Originally posted by Duncan:

...Ps What a crappie whip - the mind boggles ...

whip = noodle rod = long, very light, very limber rod - often just a pole but sometimes with rings and a reel to hold extra line.

Crappie love live bait and absolutely dote on thick brush/tree tops/etc. You often gotta present the bait/lure in the middle of the brush. Only good way to do that and have a hope of getting your rig back is to do a completely vertical presentation.

To keep from spooking old paper mouth, lots of the crappie anglers use a very light, limber and (for us) very long rod/pole to 15 or 20 feet.

Rig is simple. Hook /w live bait or small jig at the end of the main line and enough weight to allow the rig to sink. 2-6 lb mono and a very, very light wire hook in a #4 to #1.

The fish has a large mouth but the tissue is very delicate - hence the name "paper mouth". 2lbs is good, 4lb is huge (near record size for black crappie and not far under the white crappie record in most states).

If the fish weren't excellent to eat I doubt if many would fish for them since a wet rag will put up at least a good a battle.

And thanks for the Spey links. I'll check them out in a bit.

Guest Nightwing

Newt, a spey rod is a long, two handed fly rod designed to allow maximum line controll at a longer distance, and to allow longer casts.

Very popular with the steelhead and salmon crowd.

As for rods, I have in the past noticed(at least from various posts here and on the lists), that we seem blessed with a greater variety of rod types/styles up here. Likely is exactly as you stated, due to the steelhead and salmon scene.

My salmon drift rod looked exactly the part at the MI. fish-in this year, even got some comments on how well it handled and performed from folks using imported carp gear from the U.K.! A bit shorter(9 ft), then the U.K. standard, but I can put a cast accross the Manistee river if needed(140 yards), and it is designed to handle salmon to 70lbs, so carp are not a problem!

It is a G. Loomis GL3, Med-Hvy 2 pc with the west coast handle.

Nightwing - why are the salmon/steelhead rods typically so long?

I'm impressed with your rod BTW. A G Loomis GL3 blank that length is around $150 and a good set of 8 Fuji guides is another $60. Then handle and the other bits so you are looking at a (to me anyway) very expensive rod.

I have heard their stuff is outstanding though and may be able to talk myself in to spending the $$ one of these days.

Does Gander Mountain need any hired help? The employee discount should save me a bundle of money during the course of a year. Posted Image I certainly leave enough at the Bass Pro Shop here.

BTW - I noticed that http://www.mudhole.com is no longer selling any G Loomis blanks. Wonder why.

Guest Squimp

Newt,

Regarding test curves, I have just done a very un-scientific experiment.

I attached a plastic bag to the tip eye of a 10ft single handed carbonfibre 10 weight fly rod. I then added lead weights until I achieved a rough 90 degree deflection (test curve?). The required loading was between one and a quarter and one and a half pounds.

The rod was made by Harrison's.

I then repeated the experiment with a 15ft 10/11 weight carbonfibre double handed spey type flyrod. It took half a pound more weight to achieve the same tip deflection.

The rod is a Daiwa

Hope this helps!!

The term 'Spey' rods, refers to double handed salmon fly rods. They are designed for longer casting and better line control. 'Spey' casting is a specific form of fly casting whereby the fly line does not go behind the angler during the cast. This facilitates long casting when wading or fishing from wooded river banks.

Rods designed for 'spey' as compared to normal 'overhead' fly casting will differ slightly in action. Generally those designed to 'spey' cast will be softer in action.

Tim Marks