getting started

Guest kev7dags

Guest kev7dags

hello

I have been fishing for about 3 years (came late to the sport)I have lived in Cyprus for all of that time and have pleasure fished and match fished for course fish.I am returning to the UK shortly (nr Inverness)and I would like to get some fairly basic advice for game fishing.Are there any good and informative web sites or books you can recommend to me prior to me actually arriving in Scotland and purchasing some new(or second hand I'm not proud)gear.Also is there anyone on the forum who hails from this neck of the woods who could tell me the best methods used in that part of the world.I hope this query is not to vague as i'm only after some basic info and the means by which I can gain a better grasp of this type of fishing.My approach to course fishing started in this manner and over the years I have used varius sorces of info to first learn the basics and then improve upon them.

Thanks for any help in this matter

Kev

Kev,

Hope you enjoy fly fishing.

You could do worse than look at sexyloops.co.uk

The guy who puts it together (Paul Arden)is an ace casting instructor. The site covers basic stuff as well as more complicated.

He also sells gear at sensible prices and his site recommends specific products.

The only advice I will offer is for you to invest in some casting instruction before you teach yourself a load of bad habits.

There are two tackle shops in Scotland that advertise goos deals on trout gear in the magazines - Mike's Tackle Shop in Edinburgh and Glasgow Angling Centre.

Magazines to look at include: Trout Fisherman, Trout and Salmon

Hope this helps,

Tim Marks

Hi Kev,

What a lucky man you are in moving to Inverness, I envy you.

You will be spoilt for choice there are literally hundreds if not thousands of lochs and lochans to fish with a fair few that are free.

Although I live in Sheffield I have spent many a holiday around Inverness.

There is an excellent tackle shop and gunsmiths in Inverness where you will be able to pick everything you need including s/h gear, unfortunatly I can't remember the name of the shop, it's in the centre of town, just ask a traffic warden(of which there are many) for directions as I think there is only one in the centre!

The problem with most of the waters which are easy to get to is that they tend to be vast and fish location very difficult.

I found a couple of fantastic places where although the fish only grow to perhaps 1lb max they are easy to access and the surroudings are out of this world, while I fished I had a herd of deer watching me from a nearby hill and buzzards circling overhead, and a pair of otters playing in stream that fed the loch (FANTASTIC).

If you want some directions to this and one or two other idyllic places please feel free to email me.

As for the basic infothat you require do a search under fly fishing on Google or ask about a basic fly casting course in the above mentioned shop, believe me it's best £20 I've ever spent (no more tennis elbow) Posted Image

All the best,

Alan.......

Hi Kev,

I have just had a look at some fly tying materials that I bought on my last trip to Inverness and theres an address and telephone no on the packet which is,

J Grahams&Co

37-39 Castle Street

Inverness

Tel 01463 233178.

Hope this helps,

Alan......

Kev,

If your wanting a couple of books on fly fishing or casting, take a look at Ebay books-hunting/fishing there are one or two bargains at the moment.

If you prefer new books or want a bit more info on the books you see on Ebay take a look at WWW.ANGLEBOOKS.COM they also have some bargains.

Tel 01654 702837

The catalogue is excellent with a vast assortment of hunting and fishing books as well as various other country persuits.

Also take a look at this site it's got some usefull basic info

http://www.cse.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/fish_dealer.html

[This message has been edited by rabid (edited 12 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by rabid (edited 12 January 2002).]

Guest kev7dags

Thanks for the info lads I have checked out the sites mentioned and have made note of the tackle shop.I am really looking forward to trying my hand at this style of fishing now that I have had a brief glimpse of the methods involved.

Alan I will definately be e-mailing you to find out the directions to your little gems of places to fish.Again thanks for the replies they have been really helpful.

kev

Guest Mike Connor

These links should give you plenty to go at.

Learn as much as you can before you buy anything.

If you can manage it, then take a few casting lessons from a pro, this will save you a lot of messing about.

Don´t buy a rod until you have had the lessons. A good pro will have a range of rods for you to try, and will also advise you on a host of other things, which will save you a lot of time, aggravation, and money.

For basic skills and info, try these sites first;

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/index.html

http://globalflyfisher.com/

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

http://www.flyshop.com/

TL

MC