Winter Chrome.

Guest Nightwing

Guest Nightwing

A trip report from Michigan, USA.

The Pere Marquette flowed at midwinter low level, the slower holes almost entirly

covered in a thin veil of ice. 2 feet of snow, and a dangerously hidden layer of shelf ice lay along the banks, making egress nearer the deep bend pools an "interesting" experience. Nevertheless, I somehow made it to the high banks without playing polarbear. A series of classic pool and run water begins here, making for perfect conditions for overwintering steelhead, and the large resident brown trout. The pools here are seemingly bottomless, running to 15 feet in a river only 40 feet wide. Undercuts run 2 or 3 feet back near the more abrupt bends, formed as the river bends back upon itself in a series of horsehoe bends. Spruce and cedar dominate the landscape, and the river, lying in a tangle of deadwood and blowdowns at every bend.

It is these deep undercuts, back amongst the blowdownds, that the steelhead use as their winter hideaways. The method used to deliver flys into this mess is localy known as the "chuck and duck". Essentialy we use a level running line, with a 6-10 foot leader, and a drop weight ahead of either egg flys or stonefly nmphs. I ran stones this day.

Having fished the first 2 pools without a touch, I was begining to think I was wasting my time. Fingers were already numb, feet cold, ice build on guides had to be removed every 3rd cast. But, finaly, a tap and then a steady pull. At first, I thought I had a small rainbow or brown, as my 8wt seemed to move the fish easily out of the worst of the pools tangle. However, the fish decided it had other ideas upon seing the hulking, green and camo clad beast hovering above the water. The "little brown" suddenly grew by about 10 lbs, and in an explosion of icy spray threw her 30 or so inches of chrome entirly out of the water. On re-entry, she shot back into the jam, head shaking and bulldoging for the farthest reaches of the snags.

I layed the rod quickly on its side, and managed to get her head turned before she reached the worst of the undercut, and she again shot out of the pool, launching herself 4 feet into the winter air. The spray was quite cold, and she looked almost as if made of glass. This time, she ran upstream(why, I will never know), and into a long, shallow flat. There, she stopped, using the deep width of her body to hold against my attempts to turn her. We stayed there, her and I, at either ends of a wire-tout length of nylon and runner, for nearly 2 minutes, neither giving more than a foot or so. She then exploded for the 3rd time, clearing the water in a short tail walk, and landing head downstream. She shot back past me, leaving a long length of line curving well behind far faster than I could make up. Only the drag of the line against the water kept her attached as she again ran into the logs below. And quickly as it started, it was over. left me standing like an idiot, rod limp and broken leader swaying in the current.

4 minutes, max, for 2 hours of walking.

And worth every second.

Scottville, Mi, Jan. 2002.

[This message has been edited by Nightwing (edited 13 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Nightwing (edited 13 January 2002).]

Good stuff Nightwing. Thanks. I had a good mental picture of where you were and what was happening.

How cool was the air do you think?

Guest Vagabond

Yeesss ! Brilliant description Nightwing. Even here in the UK I could feel that sharp Michigan air - keep 'em coming.

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Nightwing

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Newt, It was about 15°, judging by how fast the guides iced up.(you learn that sort of thing up here).

Nightwing - thanks. Hope I never get to be that good a judge of low temperatures.

I lived in Wisconsin for a couple of years (military assignment so no choice really) and I left with admiration for those who can live in that climate and a thankful feeling that I don't have to any more.

The country up there is absolutely stunning some parts of the year. The glaciers did an outstanding job of landscaping when last the passed thru. Fishing is great. Hunting is outstanding. Winters are just toooo cold for me though. Brrrrr.