fly fishing.

Guest mike 123

Guest mike 123

i'm starting to learn about fly fishing can any one help me how to get started.like what type of rod do i need,and what line do i get ,,ECT,.ECT,...thank you mike.......

Guest Mike Connor

This depends on what sort of fly-fishing you wish to do, and for what type of fish.

The best thing to do is to take some casting lessons with a pro, and he will also advise you on the gear you require.

It is best not to buy any gear until you have had the lessons. This may save you a lot of time and money.

As a rough guide, for stream fishing for trout, rods in the #4 #5 #6 range, from seven to nine feet are normally used. Use the longest rod you can get away with. The lighter the rod ( of the above the #4 is the lightest), the greater the pleasure to be obtained from small to medium sized fish.

For resevoir fishing for stocked rainbows, and river fishing for seatrout ( once again dependent on the water, and the size of fish expected), many go up to a #7 or #8 rod.

For normal river fishing, a floating line will serve for practically all purposes. For resevoir and other fishing, you may also need sinking or other specialty lines.

The gear you need depends entirely on the species you are targetting, the conditions under which this is done, and the size of the flies being used.

If you give us some more information, we will be better able to advise. Nevertheless, my opening comments stand.

TL

MC

Guest andypiscator

hi mike 123, i don`t know where you are but, pitsford & ravensthorpe,in northamptonshire do casting schools at a resonable price, they provide the tackle & avise on what you will need for the type of fishing you intend to do, they give casting lessons, then allow you to try for a trout.

proffesional tuition is invaluable to a beginner. i know because i did not have any, and i still can`t cast as well as i should after 15yrs, if you start wrong then the bad technique stays with you.

i am quite sure that other trout waters can provide such courses, worth asking your local tackle shops/flyfishing clubs.hope this helps, andy.

------------------

it was this big!!!honest

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER,

save money on your fishing,join ANMC now.

Guest mike 123

[thanks for the replys.i live in amesbury in wiltshire,i'm 5 mins,. away from the avon.mine goal is to fish for anything that i can catch,i also fish on lakes,do i need sinking line for these waters,and floating lines for the rivers.i have seen a rod i like (6-8)thats all i know about the rod.thenthe line.and braid,ect,. can i get a video on how to learn to fly fish.? .........

Mike has given you the best advice anyone can give you. "Get some casting lessons from a Pro." Its money well spent. He will put you right on the gear to get as well as sorting out your casting. I say again its

well worth it and you will not regret it. ATB