Trout Fisherman

Guest Elton

It is often said that a new broom sweeps clean, so it will be interesting to see how Mark Sutcliffe gets on as Editor of Trout Fisherman.

What would you change if you were in his shoes?

Elton

PS Mark has always been really helpful towards Anglers' Net, so constructive comments would be appreciated Posted Image

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Spiderfan

On the whole, I think that the TF magazine has greatly improved over the last few issues.

TF gives over most of its coverage to competition fishing and put-and-take day ticket waters. Not unsurprisingly, they are probably the areas encompassing the most flyfisher folk, and therefore target the largest potential audience. Sound marketing practice I suppose, but not my particular bag I’m afraid.

From an entirely personal point of view, I would like the articles to have more depth and technical content. For example, discussing the ‘whys’ and ‘wherefores’ of fly selection, rather than the ‘try it and see’ approach. Also, with no personal interest at all in competition fishing, a section of the magazine might as well be more adverts.

My final point applies to magazines in general, not just TF – when are we ever going to get a tackle review system where most items don’t get an overall 8, with an odd 7 or 9 out of 10? I really, really would like magazines to be responsible and as honest as their consciences rather than their bank-balances allow. I don’t go to the ‘got to keep the advertisers happy’ or ‘have to make a living’ school. If people didn’t buy the magazine, the advertisers would simply go elsewhere, ergo the reader comes first, and so should their requirements! If anyone would like to give me 10 rods for 12 months, I’ll show them how it should be done!

Keep up the good work Mark, and if TF continues to improve, then I just might buy it more regularly or even take out a subscription; but I won’t be letting my Fly Fishing and Fly Tying subscription lapse just yet.

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Guest waterman1013

If Mark is now the editor it goes on my "must read" list.

His work at AT was a level above the norm and it is great news that he is back doing what he does best, writing about angling.

Originally posted by Spiderfan:

My final point applies to magazines in general, not just TF – when are we ever going to get a tackle review system where most items don’t get an overall 8, with an odd 7 or 9 out of 10? I really, really would like magazines to be responsible and as honest as their consciences rather than their bank-balances allow.

I think what some of them may do is to either publish a review if the product is good or send an unpublished review /w specifics back to the maker if it isn't.

I can understand the reasoning on their part up to a point - hopefully the maker will do changes to correct the problems and then we can see a review of the improved product.

Guest Davemc1

We will not get a 2 or 4 overall, we will always get adds. We may not like it but the advertisers keep the cost down. Thay pull out the cost goes up

Dave Mc