Parasite Worms in fish. (;o(

northsea

Hi all how's the fishing?

I posted a similar thread some time ago about parasite worms in my cod fillets but now getting a few Pollack with worms in them also. Now, it goes without saying this is not ideal. :yucky:

My question to all you pros is this : is there any way of knowing if a fish has worms in it before killing it?

I mean are there any tell tail sign markings etc on the outside of the fish?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated indeed!

I would say that Most of the fish that we consume have a degree of parasitic infections, Most big cod Ive caught have, Unless they are crawing off the filleting block on there own dont worry about them freezing kills them as does killing the host fish, the flesh is not genraly impared and is edible. one of the joys of free range food!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hi all how's the fishing?

I posted a similar thread some time ago about parasite worms in my cod fillets but now getting a few Pollack with worms in them also. Now, it goes without saying this is not ideal. :yucky:

My question to all you pros is this : is there any way of knowing if a fish has worms in it before killing it?

I mean are there any tell tail sign markings etc on the outside of the fish?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated indeed!

As far as I know there is no way to tell if a fish has worms or not.

I always assume that all fish have them including mackerel.

One way to prevent the worms entering the fillet flesh is to gut them as soon as possible after killing them.

Next is to freeze the fillets before eating them.

Here is my repeat of the comment I made in the last post on this subject.

Most of the Chippies on the North East Coast very rarely sold cod and chips!!!!

It was nearly always Haddock and chips.

The reason for this was that the coastal population knew about the cod worms, while the inshore population (landlubbers) did not.

Folklore has it that the cod fillets with worms had to have them removed with worm punches, which was time consuming and costly, it also left the fillets with unsightly holes in them.

So in the 1950's, Birds Eye opened a factory in Yarmouth, and the cod mainly from the north sea was processed into Fish Fingers.

These were and still are very popular with the public, and also with the processors who did not have to remove the worms because the process killed them and the composition of the Fingers hid the remains.

The problems with the worms also affected herrings, and because they were pickled and not cooked the worms entered humans causing various symptoms from initial vomiting and diarrhea, to crone like problems after a few weeks of digesting them when they started to live in the human gut.

However fish fingers made from herrings did not catch on so we sold most of the catches to our EU neighbors.

I eat lots of cod but if I am steaming it I always use it after freezing, and any fresh cod is always well cooked.

:):):):angry:

Hope this does not put you off fish fingers :lol::lol::lol:

I think you are right in what you say Ivan,but all the trips we have had together etc they are certain times of year in which the worms are there and then on another trip no worms in the fish,,,,so is there a time of year why these worms attack the fish???..like you say I have had nice herring to put in vinegar and some have and most have'nt got worms...some fish are full of them,just worth chucking in the bin and you pick the other one up it's a lovely free of worms fish???why..perhaps someone as an answer to this but it's been like it since I started fishing in 1965..when we are shooting and see the birds after.. some of them have good crops of food and others with nothing in there crop...but they all live in the same place...so is it something to do with diet for the fish...re food etc ..I don't know...when fishing out of southwold I find less fish with worms than whitby trips...but like I say is it the time of year.

because of this all fish for sushi has to be frozen below -24degrees which kils the worms they are also killed when properly cooked

It's certainly true that the FDA in America insist all fish to be served raw in commercial establishments, tuna being the only exception to this, is frozen first, but there's no law regarding fish for home use, and as far as I know, no such laws at all in the UK.

Edited by jeepster

Most of the Chippies on the North East Coast very rarely sold cod and chips!!!!
Haddock every time for me.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote