braided loops

Guest fisherman

Guest fisherman

What is your preference?

The braided loop to join the leader or the needle knot.

As a newbie to the world of fly fishing I go for the loops as they are a lot easier to master. But what is the best in your opinion.

Dave

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest DerwentBob

Interesting, from the tackle shops you would think that these braided loops are the best thing since sliced bread. Given that I managed to pull a loop straight off the line that the guy behind the counter had put on to demonstrate the things I was less than confident. By needle knot do you mean the one where you thread the mono through the middle of the fly-line with a needle then whip it on (sort of thing)? Would it be a good idea to attach a short loop of 12-15lb mono in this way so that you can still loop-to-loop your leader?

Cheers

Guest Alan Roe

I am not a fan of braided loops and much prefer to needle or nail knot a lenght of 30lb monofilament as it provides a much more efficient transfer of energy.

For the same reason I prefer to use a tapered monofilament leader for all my dry fly work as you get better turnover and presentation.

You also don't get the spray of water that is shaken off a braided leader which puts fish down

Guest phil dean

easy to say, but how do you get the needle up the line, the ones I've used looked pretty thin, also does this cause the fly line to weaken, or is the weakness so slight as to be irrelevant.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest Vagabond

Originally posted by DerwentBob:

Interesting, from the tackle shops you would think that these braided loops are the best thing since sliced bread. Given that I managed to pull a loop straight off the line that the guy behind the counter had put on to demonstrate the things I was less than confident.

Cheers

Yes Derwent Bob, SNAP! I expressed doubts over them some years ago. (there were several letters concerning slipped loops in Trout and Salmon at the time)

A chap in a tackle shop scornfully suggested most of us punters couldn't put them on properly, and decided to show the elderly twit over the counter (me) how to do it.

His face when I pulled the loop free gave me nearly as much joy as catching a trout (on a needle knotted leader of course Posted Image)

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Nightwing

Braided loops IMHO, are about a half step up from usless. And that is coming from someone who sells them!(not by choice, but by the ill wind of a corporate buyer). I tried them one time, and after the second salmon pulled one off, threw the rest out and never looked back.

There are any number of good ways to attach a leader and tippet to the fly line, but a braided loop is not one of them.

Guest DerwentBob

I had all the stuff I needed to hand all the time! I have ditched the braided loop (it ended up ditching itself when I caught the wheelybin while practicing my casting Posted Image) and put an 18lb mono loop on instead. Fortunately my backpacking tent runs on 50 miles to the tube of aquaseal so I've always got plenty of that...

well fisherman i've only been fly fishing just over a year and i've always used braided loops and learned how to put them on myself after a friend show'd me and have never had a problem with them and they are quick and easy if you put them on properly you should have no problems :)

I did use them over the christmas break and lost a good fish. The whole thing had gone. I did notice the second loop was working loose so changed that one as well.

That is the only time I have had any bad luck with them mind. On the other hand I do not like the thought of a fish swimming around with my fly and leader hanging from it's mouth. :mad:

Time to go to the needle knot I think.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I think the success depends on the line, I have a Cortland 333 floating line and the loops would not stick to that at any price. On my cheapo Mullarkeys special sinking line the things grip tighter than the taxman.

I just don't trust them now and the needle knot method is a doddle so I can't see the point in me using them, YMMV of course.