Fly Fishing In Ireland

Elton

Anyone able to help this guy?

quote:

Can anyone help me please.  I am going to the Dingle Pennisula on the 09/03/02 for one week and would love to fly fish while I am there.

My problem is I have never done it before and know nothing about it or the relevant requirements for fishing in Ireland.  I would be grateful if someone could tell me where I can fish in this area for sea trout and give me some pointers on the best way to fish using a fly. 

If anyone can suggest a good clear book I would be grateful.  Also do I need any special licences e.g. rod and line or special permits to fish and if so any idea how much these cost.

Many thanks in desperation,

Shaun

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 1 month later...

its a pity I just joined but if anyone reads this fishing in ireland does not require a licence for trout and a lot of rivers and lakes do not require a permit.

The bibles on fishing in Ireland are by Peter O'Reilly - easily available in good book stores or amazon.com

The Trout and salmon rivers of ireland

The trout and salmon lakes of ireland

All details regarding where to go- what permission to seek and even what flies to use are conatined within.

However, always check if you can locally about how the water is fishing when you arrive.

Another good site is www.cfb.ie

Elton:

quote:

Can anyone help me please.  I am going to the Dingle Pennisula on the 09/03/02 for one week and would love to fly fish while I am there.

My problem is I have never done it before and know nothing about it or the relevant requirements for fishing in Ireland.  I would be grateful if someone could tell me where I can fish in this area for sea trout and give me some pointers on the best way to fish using a fly. 

If anyone can suggest a good clear book I would be grateful.  Also do I need any special licences e.g. rod and line or special permits to fish and if so any idea how much these cost.

Shaun

Shaun,

Peter O'reilly's book The Trout & Salmon Rivers of Ireland is a must. Trout and Coarse fishing needs no licence, although I believe some areas, waters require the purchase of a share certificate [if this scheme is still working? Knowing the Irish it probably vanished into obsurity]. Sea Trout and Salmon requires a rod licence. When I was last on the Dingle Peninsular, I seem to remember a lake and some small rivers near to Castlegregory.

Hope this helps!

Next time go Galway or Mayo, loads of rivers and loughs.

Regarding how to fly fish, much to involved to deal with here, again you need a good book. Try your local library if it hasn't been shut down to save money!!

Colin

Elton:

quote:

Shaun

Elton, Isn't it a bit late for this request or are the dates wrong either in his letter on when it was posted?

Confused Colin [What's new?]

Colin Brett:

Elton,  Isn't it a bit late for this request or are the dates wrong either in his letter on when it was posted?

Colin - if the guy is US rather than UK/Euro, 9/3/02 would be September 3.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Newt:

Elton,  Isn't it a bit late for this request or are the dates wrong either in his letter on when it was posted?

Colin - if the guy is US rather than UK/Euro, 9/3/02 would be September 3.
Newt, I see what you mean and agree 100%, but I am still confused by the posting date from Elton. How come I have only just found this message if it was posted in February? I just wondered if the problems that Elton has been having, have caused a glitch in the system.

Colin [not quite so confused]