a few questions about.......

DOUG DUVALL

Derwentbob,

You are very fortunate in having a coarse fish background as you begin to fly fish. It has given you respect for returning fish alive as you see the sport in the fish and not the corpse. You may have learned the art of stalking fish from your coarse fishing days, that will be important. Bring everything with you into fly fishing, it will make you a superb fly fisherman. Which Derwent..Bob?

The Derbyshire Derwent, I got the name from winter grayling fishing in Darley Park in Derby. On several occasions I slid the full length of the bank and ended up bobbing up and down in the Derwent.

I suppose I'm just not used to being a beginner again, you tend to take for granted the fact that you understand all the underlying principles. I'm always conscious that I might need to look at fly-fishing with a beginners mind so that I don't jump to conclusions. An example which I sorted out recently was the leader, to my coarse fishing mind the lower breaking strain hooklength is to minimise the amount of line left trailing in the event of breaking off in a snag. A fly-fishing leader is set up to maintain the energy transfer down the line until the fly is at the end of a fully straightened leader. That one was far from obvious unless you get right down to the nuts and bolts of the matter.

Oh well only another week and I can give the trout a go instead of flinging pigeon feathers at the cat :D .

DerwentBob,

I love your definition of slippery,steep banks and cold deep rivers!

For £2 you can get expert tuition within the casting lanes at Chatsworth Angling Fair in May.

Beats paying £100 for private lessons and the proceeds go to `cheeridy`.

OP -JB