I've got an idea, but I need your help!

Gaffer

I want to flyfish for carp on my local water. As a hookbait I would like to use a corkball (don't laugh!) as the carp are very willing to take Mixers.

The problem I've got is that the ducks and geese mop up any Mixers that I fire out and they also go after my hookbait as soon as it is stationary.

My theory is that if I can drop the corkball right on the nose of the carp and give it a twitch it'd 'ave it!

Also the constant casting of line would deter the feathered so and so's.

I've done a little flyfishing before so I'm ok with the technique, but unfortunatly the gear that I was using wasn't explained to me.(I didn't ask either!)

What rod, reel and other stuff would I need to get me going?

I only want something cheap 'n' cheerfull as I'm not sure if my idea will work or not.

Could I have your thought's?

Gaffer,

My first thoughts would be to go for a heavy’ish reservoir outfit.

A 9’ to 9’6” rod rated for an 8 wt line and good quality disc drag fly reel with a fairly large line/backing capacity.

As you intend to chuck out cork balls I would probably go for a weight forward line with a steep forward taper, this will enable you to turn over the leader & cork ball (the ball will be light but have a large air resistance so you need a steep taper to transfer the casting energy to it otherwise it will just fall down in an undignified heap)

Hope this helps you out

Duncan

Ps try out this method on your hols to France, congrates on winning the prize.

Gaffer, I have done this using a 9 wt , 9ft-6in rod,a floating line and 10lb bs leader.

I superglued a chum mixer to the hook and used very few freebies.

The waterfowl were not a nuisance as I was fishing barely 15 yards away, and they wouldn,t come too close.

I have also caught carp on a dry Daddy Longlegs.

Its important to have a lot of backing on the reel, I use 30lb braid, for strength and the low diameter means I can get a lot on.

You might try borrowing a rod and reel first, to see how you get on.

Best of luck.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Gaffer:

I've done a little flyfishing before so I'm ok with the technique, but unfortunatly the gear that I was using wasn't explained to me.(I didn't ask either!)

What rod, reel and other stuff would I need to get me going?

I only want something cheap 'n' cheerfull as I'm not sure if my idea will work or not.

Could I have your thought's?

Gaffer,

Sounds like a good oppotunity to kit up for Pike on the fly as well?

A 9' rod rated at 9# plenty of backing [careful with braid, it tears your skin to bits]I would go with 30lb mono, Shakespeare do a Pike Fly Line with a steep forward taper also a cheap large capacity salmon reel. You are up and Carping, as well as Piking, as for the ducks, perhaps a catapult?

Colin