SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Newt

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock

2007 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot read or write English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

LOL so true

I actually got a complaint phone call from my 9 year old sons school last week!

Neither my wife or I were going to be able to meet him from school, so I told him to walk to his aunts house (about 200 yards from the school) and we'd pick him up from there later on.

Apparently 9 years old is too young to walk 200 yards down the street unsupervised !!!!!

Mat

Mat

Of course not everything was quite so simple in 1957

http://www.centralhigh57.org/1957-58.htm

Regarding the overprotective attitude in 2007 it is interesting to read some facts bought up at an FBI Conference on school violence (The School Shooter, a Threat Assessment Perspective) held in July 1997

Approx. 3 million crimes are committed in US schools each year

More than 100,000 children carry guns to school each day

Homicide is the leading cause of death of children aged 5-14 years in the US

I am sure that attitudes have changed in the past 12 years but if little Johnny turned up to school with a shotgun these days I think that being concerned is a reasonable reaction.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sadly, a lot of what we have now is self inflicted.

We allow Health and Safety legislation to go through.

We allowed the Children Act to go through.

We live in a litigious environment, a revolting habit British society acquired from out Trans-Atlantic cousins.

I'd love to read Chesters' take on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

OI OI,

Why do we let ourselved be led by the nose, When it's always the few telling the majority what they can & can't do ?

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

spot on newt.

Edited by merlino bill

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Actually, it's not the few that are the problem, it's the majority that sit there and do feck all, including turning off Jonathon Woss and getting off their fat backsides to vote.

Let's form a new party, the AN Party!

Great post Newt! :lol:

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Actually, it's not the few that are the problem, it's the majority that sit there and do feck all, including turning off Jonathon Woss and getting off their fat backsides to vote.

Let's form a new party, the AN Party!

Great post Newt! :lol:

10/10....Great reply to a great post!!! I totally agree...Ross is off ..:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Great post Newt, unfortunately it's great because we can identify with its content. But to be fair to the Health & safety executive, it's often the prats who interpret the HSE that are the problem, overzealous jobsworths with a need to control lives but unfortunately don't have the required level of common sense to do the job properly.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Great post Newt, unfortunately it's great because we can identify with its content. But to be fair to the Health & safety executive, it's often the prats who interpret the HSE that are the problem, overzealous jobsworths with a need to control lives but unfortunately don't have the required level of common sense to do the job properly.

The HSE have a mythbusting section on thier web site for that very reason.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!