Float Making Materials

Severn Wolf

i don't think its critical ,as it can be equalled out by the droppers

but think like this

4 swan = 3 sssg as bulk weight + 1 n*4 as stop shot 3-6" above bulk

1 aaa as float loading

1 aaa split down as droppers 2 n*4's and two n*8's

or something like that

Logged away in the `do not forget` file in me bonce!

Great starting point, thanks!

wolf.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the best way of getting the feathering off the quill? Razor blade? Singing? Peeling it off?

Cheers Neil

one way is to strip the hurl off ,by hand .but this removes a layer of skin from the stem ,and can do damage too the quill if done wrong ,you will go past the shoulder of the feathers and tear a stip off the tip maybe leave a hole too the innerards of the quill.

dequilling_sm.jpgfig26.jpg

the safer way is to use a sharpe craft knife too slice off the hurl (feathers) close too the shaft ,then rub down the stubble with wet & dry / sand paper to a smooth finish .

scrape_sm.jpg

keith arthur ,once recommended that i should try immac hair removal cream too get rid off the stubble !

hope this helps

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Budgie

They`re for stillwater mate. The roach in this particular lake seem to like overwintering in the deepest areas of the lake, which can be as much as 18ft. If I can get them up in the water (usually later in the day) then a loaded crystal fished on the drop at half depth can be brilliant but most of the time the roach are either on the deck or in the last two foot of water.

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

After a frustrating couple of trips fishing for big roach in deep water I`ve come to the conclusion that theres no float available to do the job properly.

So...........its time to make some.

The floats are going to be sliders, bodied wagglers to be exact. I will be making the floats with long inserts in the top to accentuate the dropper shots settling.

Been having a mooch on ebay and found some balsa bodies so now I need to get the stem material. In times past when I used to make my own I used sarkandas reed but it was a sod to paint and fairly brittle. A few searches have made me consider peacock quill but I`ve never used this before. Is peacock the way to go?

Also, the insert. Someone suggested the bamboo skewers from Sainsburys, does this still hold good?

Next, the bottom ring. Obviously this needs to be small to stop the knot slipping through. Is straightening a small hook the way to go or is there a better method?

One thing I bumped into when searching was that somone recommended loading the float a bit. Is this worthwhile, does it stop tangling and the float flying up the line on the cast?

Yonks back I used to knock up my own wagglers but stepping into the world of slider floats seems to open a whole new can of worms.

Any advice is appreciated!

After a frustrating couple of trips fishing for big roach in deep water I`ve come to the conclusion that theres no float available to do the job properly.

So...........its time to make some.

The floats are going to be sliders, bodied wagglers to be exact. I will be making the floats with long inserts in the top to accentuate the dropper shots settling.

Been having a mooch on ebay and found some balsa bodies so now I need to get the stem material. In times past when I used to make my own I used sarkandas reed but it was a sod to paint and fairly brittle. A few searches have made me consider peacock quill but I`ve never used this before. Is peacock the way to go?

Also, the insert. Someone suggested the bamboo skewers from Sainsburys, does this still hold good?

Next, the bottom ring. Obviously this needs to be small to stop the knot slipping through. Is straightening a small hook the way to go or is there a better method?

One thing I bumped into when searching was that somone recommended loading the float a bit. Is this worthwhile, does it stop tangling and the float flying up the line on the cast?

Yonks back I used to knock up my own wagglers but stepping into the world of slider floats seems to open a whole new can of worms.

Any advice is appreciated!