Help me

goin_fishin

Hey all,

im off fishing in the lakes this weekend for the first time and after my 1st trout.

i have heard lots of methods for trout (etc. Spinning , Fly, Ledger)

I know how to spin and know how to ledger but i do not know how to fly fish and this forum is the best place i can get a anwser.

ok here i go..... :confused:

How do you fly fish,

can you fly fish with a normal rod and reel????/

because i do not have a lot of money to invest in a new rod and centerpin just for 2 days....

and when you do anwser this can you tell me best flys to use and the difference about dry and wet flys....

Sorry if it sounds Stupid but its plane old daft me..

and whats the best method you have caught Trout

goin_fishin:

can you fly fish with a normal rod and reel????/   because i do not have a lot of money to invest in a new rod and centerpin just for 2 days....

GF - a fly rod is a pretty specialized sort of rod and it would be next to impossible to do regular fly fishing with another type of rod.

BTW - the reel you use isn't a pin. For smaller fish like trout, it is pretty much just a line holder and a very cheap one will do nicely. For larger fish, the reels can get quite expensive though.

Basically, with fly fishing, you are using the weight of the line to cast your fly rather than the weight of the lure as you would with spinning or baitcasting.

I have heard of people fishing with flys on spinning gear though. Use some sort of controller float and attach the fly at the end of your mainline several feet below the float.

If it were me, I think I would stick with very small lures on a spinning rod though if your rod will do light lures. Mepps makes a great in-line spinner lure that works well on most species. Small though and need a light rod to cast em.

If you do want to try fly fishing at some point, you can get a starter rig with rod/reel/line for not much money. I don't know about the UK but from Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Cabelas has one for $100 that includes rod, reel, carry case, mainline, leader, backing, and a how-to video. Rod is a good graphite (carbon) one and you can get them from a 3wt (they measure fly rods by line weight and 3wt is very light) to 8wt which would be suitable for larger fish like carp, pike, and some sea fish.

Bass Pro offers a Pflueger® kit that is as the one above except no carry case. Rod is a 5/6wt and the cost of the entire kit is $40.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

goin_fishin:

Hey all,

im off fishing in the lakes this weekend for the  first time and after my 1st trout.

i have heard lots of methods for trout (etc. Spinning , Fly, Ledger)

I know how to spin and know how to ledger but i do not know how to fly fish and this forum is the best place i can get a anwser.

ok here i go.....   :confused:  

How do you fly fish,

can you fly fish with a normal rod and reel????/

because i do not have a lot of money to invest in a new rod and centerpin just for 2 days....

and when you do anwser this can you tell me best flys to use and the difference about dry and wet flys....

Sorry if it sounds Stupid but its plane old daft me..

and whats the best method you have caught Trout  

Gaz,

Don`t you dare go spinning for them! Your on the right lines with your thoughts on flyfishing. Trout can be very silly at times and I would hate to see you drift away from fishing because of `impossible to emulate` early successes. Any fool can hang trout on spinners but in my opinion the only way to catch trout is on a fly.

Watch the surface of the water, if it is broken by a fish it is likely to be taking a fly from the surface and this is the most exciting way of fishing. Some flies hatch from the water and live as nymphs on the river or lake bed, for the fish that feed on these nymphs you will need wet flies. Good luck this weekend and don`t forget to talk to local tackle shop owners and ask for advice.

#Thanx all in then end i went spinning didnt get anything cos i was only fishin for 1 day and we ddint have time to get the boat out we fished lake Bassenthwaite and i bought a decent telesopic kit (spinning outfit) for 20 and next time i go in a couple of months im going to buy the fly starter kit thats is 50 quid.......

have any of you ever fished lake bassenthwaite and what are venidace??????????????/

hey all which of these deals is the best offer?????

STARTER OUTFIT(Reference #FFISH6)

SAVE £ 50

Outfit includes 9.5 ft Adder Rod, 2 piece #6 - 8 plus 2 x Adder Fly Reels, 2 x Budget Fly Lines (1 floating and 1 sinking), 2 x spools Fly Line backing, 3 x Braided Loops, 2 x spools Fly Leader, Casting Instruction Sheet, Fly Box and 50 Flies.

Price: £50.00

Posted Image

or

CHILDREN'S STARTER OUTFIT(Reference #FFISH9)

SAVE £ 43

Outfit includes 8 ft Mamba Rod, 2 piece #5 - 6 plus Viper Fly Reel and Spare Spool, 2 x Viper Fly Lines, 2 x spools Fly Line backing, 3 x Braided Loops, 2 x spools Fly Leader, Fly Box and 50 Flies.

Price: £99.00

Posted Image

or

COMPLETE STARTER OUTFIT(Reference #FFISH11)

SAVE £ 58

Outfit includes 10 ft Adder Rod, 2 piece #6 - 8 plus 2 x Adder Fly Reels, 2 x Budget Fly Lines (1 floating and 1 Sinking), 2 x spools Fly Line backing, 3 x Braided Loops, 2 x spools Fly Leader, Fly Box and 50 Flies, Trout Landing Net, Large Canvas Tackle Bag and a Casting Instruction Sheet.

Price: £65.00

Posted Image

or

ADDER STARTER OUTFIT(Reference #AFFO)

SAVE £ 20

Outfit includes - Standard Telescopic Folding Landing Net , 9.5 ft Adder Fly Rod #6-8 , 100m spools Zycon Leader, Adder Fly Reel, Starter Fly line W/F 7 Floating and 50 assorted Lures, Wets, Dries and Nymph Trout flies and Trout Bass Bag.

Also Includes Free: 'How to Start Fishing and Fly Casting Instructions', Packet of 2 Leader Loops and Fly Line Backing.

Price: £40.00

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

or

SPINNING OUTFIT(Reference #FFISH12)

SAVE £ 33

Outfit includes 9 ft Adder Spinning Rod plus Adder Spinning Reel, 2 x 100m Monofilament Line and 25 Assorted Spinners and Plugs.

Price: £40.00

Posted Image

Please help im spoilt for choice i have 100 quid on me after my hols

GF - those sound like good starter kits. Lots of gear for a reasonable amount of cash. Not familiar with Adder so can't comment on their quality.

My only qualm with the fly kits is the rods. Unless you are going for fairly large fish, I'd say even the #5wt is pretty heavy and with a #6wt you wouldn't have much fun with a trout of 1-2 lbs I don't think.

With the spinning kit, I'd have to say that for me personally, a 9ft rod for general lure work is way too long and wouldn't be comfortable for repeated casting - regardless of how it was made. Since they provide line in 100m spools, the reel is probably fairly small and the lures fairly light. That is great but you would wear yourself out with that rod.

The action on it is probably either medium (rod flexes to the center with the butt half stiff) or slow (flexes clear to the handle) and neither of those is at all good for lure work IMO. Easier to use a medium fast (flexes to the 1/3 mark from the tip) or fast (to the 1/4 mark) and a light action (low T/C).

Also, my guess about that rod is that after you cast a lure, the blank will continue to vibrate for a bit. Again, tiring and no good at all for lures since the rod will still be settling down after the lure is in the water and you should be working it. Fine if you are tossing a float and bait.

[ 05 April 2002, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

To save you a lot of beggaring about drop me an e-mail and I'll give you a contact number for me then I can quickly take you through your needs and advise you properly.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan