Fred Crouch Centrepin Reels

Aaron1976

Hi,

I wonder if anybody could offer me some advice regarding Fred Crouch centrepin reels. Having just recently bought an original Allcock Match aerial, I'm thinking of buying myself some backup Fred Crouch Jet reels as I'm really impressed with the Allcock.

l'm probably going to treat myself to a pair, but I wonder if somebody could please advise me as to whether to go for the narrow or wide spool. I've been using an Adcock Stanton for some years now and I believe that is slightly wider than the match aerial, but what advantage does the wider spool actually provide?

My next question is - just where on Earth can you buy Fred Crouch reels anymore? Can anybody suggest a good stockist and (if possible) a general price guide? I recall some mention of them being around £125 or so.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Hi,

I wonder if anybody could offer me some advice regarding Fred Crouch centrepin reels. Having just recently bought an original Allcock Match aerial, I'm thinking of buying myself some backup Fred Crouch Jet reels as I'm really impressed with the Allcock.

l'm probably going to treat myself to a pair, but I wonder if somebody could please advise me as to whether to go for the narrow or wide spool. I've been using an Adcock Stanton for some years now and I believe that is slightly wider than the match aerial, but what advantage does the wider spool actually provide?

My next question is - just where on Earth can you buy Fred Crouch reels anymore? Can anybody suggest a good stockist and (if possible) a general price guide? I recall some mention of them being around £125 or so.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I've just pm'd you Freds phone number.

Andy.

Edited by Jigotai

Hi,

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Hi Aaron, I'm thinking of doing the opposite once a decent Allcocks reel comes up. I have the narrow drum FC and if the original is better then it must be a very good reel indeed.

My experiences weren't all good to be honest, the first couple of reels had faults but the upside is that Fred replaced or repaired without question and even refunded my postage costs. They do take a bit of running in but once used a few times Fred's reels are extremely good and I'm glad I stuck with it, for £125 they are exceptional value.

I use mine mainly for trotting so was a bit wary of the wide drum's extra weight but I might buy one anyway. It's the only 'true' centrepin I have and is usually the first reel I grab before a session, very enjoyable to use.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The second post in this thread should help:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/opinion...;hl=fred+crouch

DavyR : I was just going too post those details .

Aaron:

some anglers prefer the wide spooled version for ledgering with ,and for their barbel fishing as they think line beds in less on the wider spools .

In general terms : thinner spooled reels for floatfishing ,wider spooled reels for ledgering

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve