Main causes for missed takes

10 brownie points

Can someone please tell me....... what are the most common reasons in fly fishing for missing a take. :confused:

I am not fly fishing very long and I normally go to the small river just over the back wall.

The river isn't alive with fish, but does hold a nice stock of wild brownies........

The other night I popped down for an hour and to make a short story long....

I missed about 4 or 5 takes and I am wondering what I am doing wrong......

Can someone HELP..........

Lewis from Limerick:

Can someone please tell me....... what are the most common reasons in fly fishing for missing a take.   :confused:  

I am not fly fishing very long and I normally go to the small river just over the back wall.

The river isn't alive with fish, but does hold a nice stock of wild brownies........

The other night I popped down for an hour and to make a short story long....

I missed about 4 or 5 takes and I am wondering what I am doing wrong......

Can someone HELP..........

It`s difficult to comment on your progression. I am sure you would soon suss it out for yourself. Are you dry or wet fly fishing? Wet- Bugs or traditional- upstream or down and across? Dry- duns or spinners or smuts and midges?

Wild Brownies = barbless

OP -JB

Just a few thoughts

1/ Upstream fishing - more likely to hook trout in the "scissors"

Downstream fishing - less likely to hook trout in the "scissors"

2/ I think many flies (especially shop-bought ones) are too bushy and the fibres mask the hook- I try to tie my flies sparsely to give the hook a chance. I've even had trout on a bare hook.

3/ I'm sure I miss more trout by striking too soon rather than too late if I can see them coming for the fly.

4/ On the other hand, if you can't see the trout strike, you need to re-act quickly when the pull comes - watch the point where your line enters the water.

5/ The trout might just be cussed at the moment - some days they are twitchy, some days they bite like serpents.

Hope you get some soon.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information......

I think at the end of the day I will have to spend a little time with some of the more experienced lads in the club.....

Mind you since the original posting I have hooked two small brownies,so maybe something is working...

May I say this is one of the best and most help website I have been on ( I only wish there was something similar for us Irish anglers)

keep up the good work...

By the way your missed takes are probably down to one of the following :

1) Striking too soon - when fishing down stream wet fly all you have to do is tighten into the fish - lift the rod gently

2) If its small brownies you are fishing for then I assume you are using size 12 or 14 flys - I find the hares ear nymph to be a killer pattern for these fish.

3) 6-4lb breaking strain leader is as much as you should use

I hope that helps

Thanks for the information, I think its because the little river has so few fish in it that when I do get a take then I am a little to eager and strike to early. I am using 4lb line and as for the "hares ear nymph" I will give it a try...

Are you from Galway ????

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, 2 or 3 of us oftin thought about giving it a weekend up there at some stage, but never got around getting ourselves organised.

There is a group of about 10 or 12 that go sea fishing with the 2 or 3 of us that dabble in a little fly fishing the others are always on to us to organise something so that they might have a go. Sometime fingers crossed..... :rolleyes: