Cormorants!! Again!!!

Colin Brett

I have just had an afternoons Trouting at Grafham Water. Fishing on the Dam I counted over 50 Cormorants flying in over the dam and landing on the lake.

A short while later I had 10 of the Black B~#$~%Ds feeding not 30 yards out in front of

me. One even pinched a trout off my mates hook! Whoever said they only eat fish up to 10

to 12 ozs should come and have a look at what these B~#$~%Ds were shoving down their throats.

Trout to an estimated 1.5lbs were being swallowed, plus they were grabbing much bigger fish which they couldn't. They weren't a bit bothered by anglers shouting and clapping to try to scare them off. All we could do was watch. When will something be done about these pests.

Colin

I haven't seen any evidence of cormorants where I fish, but I guess it's only a matter of time :(

If you feel like complaining to/informing your local MP about this matter and the total none-action taken by those we elected, here's a couple of websites you might find usefull.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/alms.htm This one ia an alphabetical listing of all MP's, some have websites and email addresses as well.

http://www.faxyourmp.com/ As you might be able to guess, this one lets you fax your MP over the net for free :)

[ 19 April 2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I fish fairly regularly on Loch Fitty in Fife, they have a pretty bad cormorant problem, to the extent that there is a permanent advert on the notice board for an "early morning scarer" they will train the "lucky" person in fast boat driving and they also get free fishing....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/