Help with identifying a tool

Clifftop

My mate recons it could be the end of a switch stick used for reaching under a old style electric loco and reseting a blown main motor breaker. It isnt exactly like what he has used before himself as there are state differances in train type.

OK five bellies, thanks to you and your mate for the time and effort.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these replies are far to sensible, it's obvious really, it's a zoo keepers tool for feeding bunches of bananas to primates in trees; or an over elaborate clothes line prop.

If it is cast iron, it seems more likely to be a home made item rather than something commercially produced.

(Because :- the handle attachments look like they're welded/brazed on and iirc cast iron is not easy to weld successfully and therefore not a commercially viable way of producing a run of things).

Some of these replies are far to sensible, it's obvious really, it's a zoo keepers tool for feeding bunches of bananas to primates in trees; or an over elaborate clothes line prop.

If it is cast iron, it seems more likely to be a home made item rather than something commercially produced.

(Because :- the handle attachments look like they're welded/brazed on and iirc cast iron is not easy to weld successfully and therefore not a commercially viable way of producing a run of things).

I dunno mate I would say welding cast was the last thing youd want to do as a DIYer It has a serial number on it that would suggest a run or a method of Identification when ordering. Its funny you should mention bananas I thought About a harvisting tool I also saw sheep carcasses being unloaded off of high hooks from a refridgeration plant with a hook not dissimilar to the one in the picture.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

It has a serial number on it that would suggest a run or a method of Identification when ordering.

But maybe the item we are seeing is a homer that's been adapted from something else.

It's a primitive device used in ancient aboriginal rituals, the blade is not a blade at all but is held between the buttocks and the "handle" should look much more phallic. ;)

But maybe the item we are seeing is a homer that's been adapted from something else.

It's a primitive device used in ancient aboriginal rituals, the blade is not a blade at all but is held between the buttocks and the "handle" should look much more phallic. ;)

I think you might be onto something :lol:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

If it were wrought iron I'd go for home made. The text on it looks like it is cast. Casting iron is not an easy think to do either, but your right the fittings do look welded on and welding cast iron is not easy either, the plot thickens.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

new information just to hand, received this this morning. Which i think pretty much means certainly cast.

I forgot to mention it has the numbers 5219 on it. Not stamped... the other way, almost 1mm proud of the surface and 6-7mm high.

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09

new information just to hand, received this this morning. Which i think pretty much means certainly cast.

I forgot to mention it has the numbers 5219 on it. Not stamped... the other way, almost 1mm proud of the surface and 6-7mm high.

Cheers Fred

Yes mate almost certainly cast, it just MIGHT be drop forged but I doubt it. If it's cast then we can discount any notion of it being a bladed tool for chopping anything cast iron is just to brittle, and the technical difficulties of casting iron rule out it being a home made tool.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cheers Fred

:o

Right, when you have had your fun and seen enough of us running ragged trying to figure out what it is. :) Your going to come clean and tell us it is something to do with the railway. :D on the other hand it might be a farming implement. Ohh i dunno, put me out of me misery.

A knife it ain't.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

:o

Right, when you have had your fun and seen enough of us running ragged trying to figure out what it is. :) Your going to come clean and tell us it is something to do with the railway. :D on the other hand it might be a farming implement. Ohh i dunno, put me out of me misery.

A knife it ain't.

Barry we have no idea what it is mate.

More from the owner below.

About cleaning. Should I give it a run in the electrolysis bath to see if there are other marks on it?

Other thoughts

A boat hook

My stepfather was also in the airforce during the war and could have been any number of bits or pieces that went with that?

The plot thickens

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09