using another chain which dropped down to near the ground where it could be

reached by the train crew. I can just about envisage the unknown item being

a resting place to keep the pipe in place when retracted out of use but not

as a hook to manouver the pipe around. British Rail stopped using steam in

the1960s but I have seen these towers in use at preservation railways, and

in my childhood.

mmmmmmmmm

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mount it on a short post that's cenented into a brick wall (like a gate hanger), it would suport a hose when swung out but could be folded back against th wall when not in use.

Just a thought.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Excellent points, but I'm going to stick with tool, I believe a hanger would be more uniform U shaped. The curvature of that tool is so for a reason.

Edit: Hmmm, in the second picture the tool DOES look more uniform U shaped!

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Latest update.

Sorry, I'm in Derby, but I did work for the railway for 26 years - in their

laboratories, not on the track.

The picture looks more like a bracket than a tool which was waved around on

the end of a long? handle or pole. Water tanks for loco's usually had a

swinging arm consisting of a 4-6 inch pipe with a length of canvas hose on

the end. It was supported by a chain from the top of the tower and swung out

using another chain which dropped down to near the ground where it could be

reached by the train crew. I can just about envisage the unknown item being

a resting place to keep the pipe in place when retracted out of use but not

as a hook to manouver the pipe around. British Rail stopped using steam in

the1960s but I have seen these towers in use at preservation railways, and

in my childhood.

mmmmmmmmm

Cheers Fred

Ahhh, but what about when you have finished with the hose, how do you move it away from the train then, then? :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

On another forum i visit the question was raised what is this tool.Nobody knows the answer not even the owner who found it at the back of his shed while having a clean out.

In the second photo he has added a handle and thinks this is how it would look when being used.

He's only guessing of course.

general opinion is that it was used on the railways.

So anybody have any ideas.

whattool.jpg

Smalltoolwithhandle.jpg

Cheers Fred

Right looking at the very top we have a partial cap to stop the pole pushing through which would indicate a pushing movement, now if the pole was secured with a wedge one could use it horizontally using it as a pushing lifting tool. Railway shunter's used a pole with a hook on the end could it be that? The number would indicate a part number.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Candlestick holder? :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy