Saltwater reels.

Ken L

Ok, I've gone and bought a new rod that will cover SWFF as well as pike in fresh water but it seems that fly reels suitable for casting a #9 line in saltwater come fist in the price per moving part league.

Can anyone recomend a reel that has a disc drag but wont break the bank ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

Ok, I've gone and bought a new rod that will cover SWFF as well as pike in fresh water but it seems that fly reels suitable for casting a #9 line in saltwater come fist in the price per moving part league.

Can anyone recomend a reel that has a disc drag but wont break the bank ?

Try the Shakespeare Condex! Not sure about the disc drag, but unless you are going after Bone fish etc, why do you need one?

About £30 for the Salmon size and about 300 yards of backing needed, now that should be enough for any bone fish as well.

Colin :D

Thanks for the advice guys. I know that Reddington reels are available in Oz (my next stop) so I'll check them out there.

I'm not familiar with the Condex but that'll get an inspection as well allong with the Okuma Integrity, although I've heared that there's a problem with that reels drag - the harder it's set, the harder it is to reel in.

The reason that I was interested in a disc drag system is I've just brought a Shimano Ultegra for £40 to go on my #5 weight outfit and it's a huge improvement over my old reel.

If only they made a #9/10 version with beefed up anodising, It'd undercut the opposition by 50% on price.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I don't know how I forgot to mention the Okuma, I have a couple of them as well!

If someone is having the problem you describe with an Integrity, then they have a defective drag system. The Integritys sold here in the U.S. all have a one way bearing system, such that the drag tension is completely seperate from the forward motion tension. In other words, the forward resistance is uniformly very light, regardless of how heavy one sets the drag. If the reel becomes more difficult to opperate as the drad tension is increased, then the bearing is likely gone bad, or needs a good cleaning.

The Okuma reels are an excellent choice in a very inexpensive reel, the only thing I don't like is that the body is not machined, but for the price, that is not really an issue.

I still prefer the Reddington(I have several AL series reels), but for less than half the price, the Okuma is a very worthy consideration.