distance

pinky

if you have a rod rated #6-#7 which line will it cast the furthest the 6 or 7?

also can you use a #4 or #5 with it?

sorry if this seems a silly question but i have tried a spot of casting for the first time just at the local pond,and the line comes down into the grass behind me hits water in front and i cannot get much distance.

later guys i`m going fishing

Slightly complex one this as there are many variables but in the hands of a reasonably competent caster it would be down to the taper of the line and the precise nature of the rod.

Most rods that have two AFTM numbers will tend to perform better in terms of pure distance with the heavier rated line if you are using a weight forward tapered line as the that line will load the rod up rather more easily and thinner running line has less friction to overcome through the rings than a double tapered line. Also that thinner running line is being pulled along by the heavier forward tapered section.

This scenario will hold true for most average anglers.

However a really competent caster will be able to cast just as far with the lighter double tapered line option or indeed a DT line of an even lighter rating! The reason being that as a good working rule of thumb, each additional 6' of line areialised beyond the rodtip is equal to an additional extra ATFM number.

The AFTM rating of a line is based on the weight of the first 30' of line plus the average 2' taper to the point of the line thus giving 32'.

So for example a line rated as Double Taper 6 is based on the first 32' of that line if you then areialise another 6' of line you are effectivly have the equivalent of a 7 weight line in the air.

so to use your 5 weight line on this rod you will need to areialise 38' of line to make the 6 weight rating and 44' to make the 7 weight rating.

This can be done with a little practise but for the beginner and for those who just want to catch a few fish I would recommend the use of the weight forward 7 line for your rod as it is easier.

I don't know wher you are however if you want drop me a line and I may be able to help you with your casting.

Cheers

Alan

[ 27 May 2002, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Alan Roe ]

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Fish the heavier line for easier casting, then use a lighter line when u r more competent. a weight forward will be easier at first but double tapers give better presentation. warning.... a short well presented cast is much more likely to catch fish than fifty yards of splashdown!

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

greg long:

a short well presented cast is much more likely to catch fish than fifty yards of splashdown!

In some cases I would agree but is it that critical? I personnally don't think so! Sometimes we can splash down to great effect and if the fish are well down, they don't even mind a WF8 Di8 crashing in.

Now on a chalk stream it might be a case of a DT3 but even I would have a job to splash one of those down.

He who casts further doesn't always catch more fish, but he sure as hell covers a lot more and gets more chances.

Colin [splash to his friends]