new to the sport

singy

Hi

A mate of mine at work wants to start fly fishing (mainly put and take still waters, like sion park). He has asked me to help, but as my expertese is more geared to carp fishing I though i'd ask you guys for a bit of help.

He has about £200 to spend (maybe a bit more) and would like a complete set up, including rod, reel, line, backing, leader material, flies, net, waistcoat, bag. As he travels on his bike he was wondering about a multipiece rod to keep everything small.

Could he get a decent full set for this price?

Thanks in advance

Singy

Paul Singleton

i suggest you go to a good tackle shop.too much to answer on here although £200 imo would be well enough,...good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am not up on the conversion rate, you can get a good set up for under $100 U.S., so I am sure your figure is more then sufficient.

Like has been posted, go to a good fly shop and work with them, as the details are far more than can be covered here.

£200 will get you plenty of gear if you shop about,check out the adverts in fly-fishing magazines,rod reel and line for all under £50!

tell your mate not to bother with syon park,they dont operate a catch n release policy,

plenty of choice with flys,loads of online companys,as for a landing net,i use me old bream pan,and bought a little bag from a car boot.

plenty of change left over for those day-tickets

happy fluff flinging,he wont look back!

keeping it real

dtd

Cheers fellas. He went out and got himself fully kitted out. Including a very gay waistcoat :):)

Looks the part, he just needs to learn how to cast now. Anyway, I'll be picking up his tackle dirt cheap when he gets bored with this new little adventure and takes up paintballing, windsurfing or carp fishing. his loss my gain :):)

Paul Singleton

singy:

Cheers fellas. He went out and got himself fully kitted out. Including a very gay waistcoat   :)     :)  

Looks the part, he just needs to learn how to cast now. Anyway, I'll be picking up his tackle dirt cheap when he gets bored with this new little adventure and takes up paintballing, windsurfing or carp fishing. his loss my gain   :)     :)

This sounds like the voice of experience speaking here...

• 4 weeks later...