Salmon lures

peter mccue

I need some help guys,

I know this is the fly fishing section but I desperately need to find out about Salmon spinners pretty quick.

I've got the opportunity to do some spinning for Salmon & Sea-trout next week, but I haven't a clue what to use spinner wise.

I've seen some of the lures people are using at the moment but they're not for me..they're huge!!

What I would like is some advice on small spinners or lures that would give me a chance of the small Sea-trout that are present as well as the Salmon.

If things work out I may get the chance to do some fly-fishing for them later on so any advice on that score would be most appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Peter.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Peter, while I am living far to the west in the U.S., I think that what I use should do well for you. I fish for both steelheasd, and lake-run brown trout, which migrate out of Lake Michigan into our coastal streams. I assume that your sea trout are sea-run browns, and steelhead are very similar in habits to atlantics. Anyway, I usually make my own spinners, but when I do buy them I use #1 to #3 Mepps for smaller trout and steelhead, and use large(#4 or #5), for large steelhead or Chinook salmon.

Colors can vary greatly by stream, but I like traditional gold and silver, and "black fury", as well as orange or chartreuse in colored water, and often "brown trout" can be a great color when fry are present in the streams.

Anyway, pick up a selection of mepps in 1, 2, 3, sizes, in gold, silver, and black fury(black with yellow dots), and you should be set.