Trout leaping at flies

Richard Gurney

Yesterday the fish were leaping like mad things at insects flying above the water.

I couldn't see what the insects were but I did notice something interesting.

It appeared that the trout would jump out the water at the flies as they were being cast over their heads.

I noticed one trout jump three times immediately under the line as it passed backwards & forwards and another just once.

Is this normal?

I have had them "top" on one occassion when I was casting Mayflies on a smallish chalk stream.

The rise was spasmodic and the Mayfly were slow to leave the surface film, also the water was gin clear.

I put it down to that combination of factors.

It hasn,t happened since.........unfortunately. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Its always a possibility that they were jumping because of the weather. There is an old timers saying that when the fish jump without reason it means there is thunder and lightening about.

As that is what most of the country has had over the last few days it could be the case. I know that down in the harbour at Westbay (Bridport)

on Sunday there was a ten/fifteen inch bass jumping 2 to 3 feet out of the water , I saw him at least a dozen times and there was absolutely no reason that I could see.

B.T.B