what fly-line?

daytimedave

been using shakespere`s glider line,which is fine

but wanted to know what you fellow anglers use,

i need a new neutral line and am after some reccomendations,or would you suggest sticking with the glider?

are the likes of cortland,sci anglers`lines the lines to invest in?

cheers

dtd :)

You dont say where or what you are using the line for. Some are better for close in work, some for shooting out distance also do you need clear or will coloured do?. Personally I use a dt5 from cortland at the moment and I find it fine but different lines work better with different rods also for example I prefer my sage for the intermediate rather than my grey's as it suits that rod better, however on the other hand my floater works far better with my grey's. In short try a quality line if it doesn't suit try another. You could let us know what rod & weight line you are using and someone using the same may be able to help you.

anglingireland.info :D

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

6/7 rod with a 7 line wf on all,sinking,floating and neutral,being a newcomer to the sport,would i be right in thinking i could experiment with say a 5 line say on a 6/7 rod? or am i doing right by staying tight to my rated rod/line ratio!

yes only short distances,and all from the bank,

i would say that on those feather weight rods with high line ratio,then you would need to have a nice balance,.,knowing no differant,i was just after a quality line which will perform and last with out it having to be replaced after a season or two.,

which is better the glider or worcestershire?

thanx in advance

dtd :)

AFTM line ratings are the line sizes for optimum loading and use of your rod..any heavier line lines used on your rod..well least said the better..too light a line then lack of rod action..i used to use Shakys worcestershire floating lines and i always thought they rated the lines a size too high..personally i felt their lines were soft and strechy..Mullarkeys used to sell them unboxed as millends, check Mullarkeys millend colours to shakys and there used to be only one diff and that was a glider line, so it was reckoned..I never found anything wrong with my Glider neutral but I only used it occasionally.I was a great fan of Airflo slow glass intermediate..memory problems but what a line!!!never was a fan of Cortland lines myself but each to his own I say..if any one u fish with has these other lines, borrow and see how u get on..keep in there..and rememeber, you may have a superduper fly rod all the top gear BUT its presentaion and the flies u have on the business end that counts...

Rods are designed for use with weight forward lines. This is because the sale of weight forward lines is more than those of double taper lines.

If a rod has a single line rating ie 6#, that rod will be rated for a 6# weight forward line.

If you use the same rod with a double taper line, you could go down one weight.

For rods with dual line ratings, 6/7# for example, then that rod will perform best with a 6# double taper line and a 7# weight forward. The reason for this is that the weight of double taper line aerialised when casting will be slightly greater than that of a weight forward line as the double taper line has a thick belly whereas with the weight forward, the weight is in the head.

I use Scientific Anglers #6 Weight Forward (WF)Intermediate tip, Scientific Anglers a #6 WF Sinking tip, and a Cortland 555 WF floating (very nice) and a no-name #6 sinking.

Richard