BB speeds and HD

poledark

Strange thing this BB speed, I average 1.5 most days, occasionally dropping to 1.3, right now it is 1.6 :)

One of my neighbors has been told she can't get BB (to far from exchange)...............she lives next door!

Another friend who lives a couple of miles further from the exchange gets 4.0!

I must say, that all in all I am happy with 1.5 being over 3 miles out in the sticks, except when it comes to viewing HD video. Bit of a bummer when I spend several hours uploading them to Utube and then have trouble watching them.

Could I ask a favour of some of you please? Could you have a look at these videos and click on the "watch in High quality" or the "watch in HD" and let me know how smoothly they download for you. When I try, the DL is so slow the video keeps hanging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDA-upi489A This one offers "watch in high quality" and is ok for me,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hXrqT4DLc This one offers "watch in HD" and hangs all the time. Some of the film is pretty erratic due to the "expert" cameramen :) and me not editing it out :)

Both videos were done in HD, but were uploaded to Utube in different qualities.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Janet and SW. Another question :) what are your DL speeds please?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

trouble is Den its not HD ,the HD version should be 1280×1080 (at least ) times this by 25 0r 30 (50 FPS is the HD version) and your 10MB file would hold only the title screen.

bit choppy for me i',m in the sticks too :D

if you can get all that in 10mb then its compressed to nothing same outcome as a cheap vid camera in not such a high compression mode.

your sensor maybe "HD" (as most are) but from then on it isnt ,can it record in a RAW format (or uncompressed in any way) then see how big the file should be ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definiti...lay_Resolutions

this is damming for HD enthusiasts

Standard 35mm photographic film used for cinema projection has higher resolution than HDTV systems, and is exposed and projected at a rate of 24 frames per second. To be shown on television in PAL-system countries, cinema film is scanned at the TV rate of 25 frames per second, causing an acceleration of 4.1 percent, which is generally considered acceptable. In NTSC-system countries, the TV scan rate of 30 frames per second would cause a perceptible acceleration if the same were attempted, and the necessary correction is performed by a technique called 3:2 pull-down: over each successive pair of film frames, one is held for three video fields (1/20 of a second) and the next is held for two video fields (1/30 of a second), giving a total time for the two frames of 1/12 of a second and thus achieving the correct average film frame rate.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Den

Go and read this mate.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If any of your sockets have a blue and white wire connected to post 5 disconnect it, including the BT master socket. Check every socket in the house, whether its in use or not. It will take the exchange about a week for it to notice the change so it's not an overnight fix. I did this at our our house. We used to struggle to get 1.5, now I usually get 2.2 when it's busy. Late at night and in the wee small hours it can go up to 4.5.

Remember that you need a filter on every socket in the house with a phone, fax, Sky equipment, old style dial up modem or any other POTS type device connected to it. You don't need a filter on an unused socket, but do remove the ring wire from them as above, \better still buy a NTE5 face plate filter. This replaces the faceplate on your BT master socket. These are perfectly legal to fit. It will cost about 12 quid. The faceplate has a normal phone socket and an ADSL socket. The filter is in the faceplate so your router is totally isolated from the noisy phone system, and you can do away with your rats tail filters on all your other sockets, they become superfluous.

Try to site your router as far away as possible from any other electrical or electric devices, especially televisions and radios.

BT will charge you about £50 f0r the above. You can do it with a £12 faceplate and 30 minutes with a screwdriver.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

At the moment I'm getting

400921369.png

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Sorry Dave,ain't got a clue what you are talking about. The camera records in 1080 Full HD...fact. I then convert it to mpeg2 for editing (not simple trimming) and make a film using Sony Vegas. What do you mean by "your 10mb file" ?

OK, so now it is not HD. I THINK I uploaded the carp vid to utube using this format....Main concept mpeg2. Template HDV 1080-60i. I understand that Utube then "do something" to make it watchable in HD. It is also possible I uploaded without any compression..sorry but I threw away all my scribbled notes.

Cory, thanks for the advice and links. I can't get at the BT socket as it is hidden behind a built in unit. I may try and cut a hole when "her indoors" is not looking :) . For what it is worth, BT installed a completely new setup for me about 6 years ago. New black box outside house, and new socket in the corner of study. I paid quite a lot for it at the time (I was with BT then) I have only one phone line and filter connected. The ADSL line goes via a surge protector to the modem and then on to the PC. The surge protector is a combined phone and power socket, and was installed after we had a lightning strike on the phone cables which destroyed my previous modem and the usb socket. I have changed my PC since then (it was a few years ago)

Utube seem to offer several options for viewing, dependent on the quality of the upload, and it took several hours before suddenly the option to view in HD was offered. Caused all sorts of havoc for me and the guy on the sea forum :)

Den

Edited by poledark

Cory, thanks for the advice and links. I can't get at the BT socket as it is hidden behind a built in unit. I may try and cut a hole when "her indoors" is not looking :) . For what it is worth, BT installed a completely new setup for me about 6 years ago. New black box outside house, and new socket in the corner of study. I paid quite a lot for it at the time (I was with BT then) I have only one phone line and filter connected. The ADSL line goes via a surge protector to the modem and then on to the PC. The surge protector is a combined phone and power socket, and was installed after we had a lightning strike on the phone cables which destroyed my previous modem and the usb socket. I have changed my PC since then (it was a few years ago)
Den even if you can't get to your master socket, it will do no harm to remove any wire from post 5 in the sockets you can reach. Have you got Sky Den? Edited by corydoras

not to bad

401147743.png

:D

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif