help req.

john

Hi,i shall be travelling down the M56,A55 to Bangor next wed.Any good fly fisheries roughly along this route or within striking distance? Thanks.

Graiglywdd is an excellent place and Huw, the manager, is one of the better fishery managers I've met. It's an odd shaped place though, as it's square (kid you not) and very deep in the middle - a bit like an inverted pyramid.

Fish quality is reputed to be better than it used to be, some of the old stock fish were a little 'ugly' although very sizeable - definitely worth a go and very good value for money.

Lures of all descriptions will work, corixa and midge in abundance so buzzers, Diawl Bachs and beetle imitations will all work well too.

I've only fished Brenig once - cracking countryside, but a huge water by N. Wales standards - well worth having some local knowledge along with you if you're going there. Try contacting a bloke called Dave (goes by the name of 'Haulagwynt' on the http://www.wheretoflyfish.com forum) - he fishes Brenig a heck of a lot and really know's his onions. If it's fishing well though, you can have a lot of action - like all reservoirs though, if it's fishing slowly you'd swear there's not a fish in the place!

Other places I've been to or heard of -

Pen-y-ffrith Fly Fishing Centre in Mold.

Tan-y-Mynydd Trout Fishery in Abergele (reputed to be an excellent place!)

Hope that helps,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Where did you end up, John? Manage to wet a line?

I was off down the M57, M62 & M6 (with roadworks on each!) that day to fish Westlow Mere near Congleton.

A mate and I had 5 a-piece, including a cracking 9lb+ beauty! The green-eyed monster in me is sorry to say my mate caught the biggie, but it was nice to see it go back!