Mounting Flies

Paul_D

Having now found easily available frames which I think are suitable for mounting home tied flies. Can anybody advise me of the best way (or the way they use) for actually mounting them?

Thanks

Paul

John S has sent me some stunning mounted flies in cases, so I'm sure he'll be able to help you as soon as he sees this thread.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hope so, cheers Elton.

Paul

Elton:

John S has sent me some stunning mounted flies in cases, so I'm sure he'll be able to help you as soon as he sees this thread.

Tight lines,

Elton

Bit busy tonight, but I will post directions soon :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Tinca61:

Having now found easily available frames which I think are suitable for mounting home tied flies. Can anybody advise me of the best way (or the way they use) for actually mounting them?

Thanks

Hi Tinca :)

Not knowing the size of your frames, all I can do is offer suggestions....

Firstly, choose an odd number of flies to mount, they are more pleasing to the eye. For most flies, a single thickness of mounting card (about 1mm thick) is sufficient, though sometimes you may need to double that (more on that later).

I use Rowney watercolour paper to mount my flies on, it has a good texture but isn't too thick to go through a printer. I don't know if you want to label the flies so I will leave that alone....

To stick the flies to the paper, simply put a small drop of clear silicon sealant on the paper and press the fly onto it (and I do mean a small drop - use a sewing needle to do it), then leave for a couple of hours until the sealant has set sufficiently.

Before you mount it in the frame, make sure you can't see any blobs of sealant sticking out from the fly. If there are, a very sharp scalpel will soon cure it....

You will need to cut the mounting card (I suggest a light coloured card). Again, without knowing the size of the frames, all I can do is offer advice. However thick you decide to have the border, have the sides and top the same thickness but have the bottom edge noticably thicker. Use a very sharp scalpel and a metal rule, and, if you can, angle the edge at about 45 degrees.

(If you want extra help on anything, email me :) )

For the backing board, I use 1.5mm MDF held in place by 2 inch wide Gumstrip sealing tape.

For those flies that need more space - That piece of card you cut out from the centre of the mounting card a few lines back.... cut it into strips and then glue it to the back of the main card (making sure that they will not be visible from the front), that should give you enough room for most other flies (though there are obviously some that cannot be mounted in this way).

Mine are selling for £35 for either a framed set of 9 Wet Flies for Trout, or for The Izaac Walton Collection (12 flies). Please add £5 p&p (for the UK only, overseas rates on application )

And if a mod can't get a free plug, no-one can :D

Email me if you need any more help....

Tight tying threads

PS - Special rates for ANMC members

[ 16. November 2002, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks for that JohnS, much appreciated. I'll have a scout around next week to find the necessary things to give it a go, but I think I might have had a good idea for the wife on what to buy me this Christmas.

Cheers

Paul