Rods

Craig Robins

There'll be mullet and trigger fish too, if it's anything like Fuerta Ventura. Use fry lures and shrimp and crab imitations.

I took an 9 foot, 8-weight on holiday a few years back but that was only for targetting fish up to a couple of pounds.

I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to hook-up a 15lb striped tuna on the same gear - you'd just be spooled!

...at least, not without having a quarter of a mile of good backing and a fast boat... you might make it then. Having watched Steve Starling (Rex Hunt's buddy) land a few GT's, Tuna and the like on 8 and 9 weight fly gear, it's certainly far from impossible - best to have the back-up afforded by a boat, or be really sure that your backing knots are stronger than your leader! ;-)

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Hi Craig,

It’s a tough call to say whether it will ‘do you’ or not, only you can decide that.

In my experience you pay for quality and better quality generally means better performance. Given that some fly-rods can cost in excess of £400/£500, this Normark kit can be said to be at the ‘economy’ end.

That said, there should be no reason to suggest it can’t do what you’re expecting of it, as long as you’re not expecting to punch tight loops with an 8-weight line and a 4” lure on the end 30 yards into a stiff on-shore wind! Being able to do that relies on both skill and the quality of your gear - it’s only a rod and reel after all.

Remember that salt-water is highly corrosive and you should rinse rod, reel and line well with plenty of fresh-water straight after use.