Starting fly fishing - rod advice

Paulg

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking up fly fishing for the first time, having been a coarse angler for 30+ years. If I do, I'd be fishing mainly on small rivers and streams, for trout and grayling. With that in mind can people recommend a reasonable rod, and what type of line would be suitable? I already have a reel, courtesy of a friend.

Thanks for any advice,

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Rod selection is a pretty subjective thing - certainly an idea of how much you're looking to spend would be helpful.

Essentially though, you'll want a rod that casts something between a 3 and 5 weight line for the fishing you'll be doing - a lighter, double taper line will afford you slightly better presentation at shorter ranges than a heavier weight forward one. Depending on how overgrown the rivers you're likely to fish are, a rod anywhere between 7 and 9 feet long should be plenty. You tend to pay more for lighter weight, longer rods - a good example at the bottom end of the market would be the Snowbee 'Kids' rod - 7 foot for a 5/6 weight line - perfect for a double taper 5. However, you can easily spend £400 on a top of the range sage 3 weight.

If you're not sure you're really going to stick with the fly, how abot borrowing some gear? Where in the UK are you?

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Paul

I would have no hesitation in recommending any rod from the redington range, they are as good as any other rod in their price range (and they start from about £80) they also offer about the best guarantee I've ever come across, break it and they will replace it - no questions!

The best advice however would be to get along to a shop where you can handle a variety of rods, cast with them and see what suits you.

Certainly a rod around 7 to 8 feet and between 3 and 5 weight would sound ideal if it is only going to be small rivers and streams that you fish. When you go to look at rods it would be a good idea to take the reel with you and make sure that the rod and reel combo feel balanced to you.

Paulg:

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking up fly fishing for the first time, having been a coarse angler for 30+ years. If I do, I'd be fishing mainly on small rivers and streams, for trout and grayling. With that in mind can people recommend a reasonable rod, and what type of line would be suitable? I already have a reel, courtesy of a friend.

Thanks for any advice,

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

Somewhere near to you, there will be a casting instructor, go and have a few lessons with him and ask his advice. You won't go far wrong then!

He may also have a rod or three you can try out.

Good luck,

Colin :D

Adz, I'm located in Berkshire, so have access to a fair number of small rivers to learn on. And Colin, I'll have a look into your advice, sounds as though that would be the way to go.

Cheers for the pointers!

Paul