Natural materials

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

Hi all...

Forgive my ignorance, but could anyone please direct me to a good fly-tying materials site that still has at least some natural materials? I know that a lot of things now come under the protected species act (and not a bad thing really) but are there any sites that still have pre-act materials in stock? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try a Gamekeeper, usually a good source of traditional materials. Don't really know any web sites as I buy most over the counter in Ireland including junglecock as our restrictions took into account that some were farmed.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Gamekeepers can be an excellent supply - make sure you 'de-infest' whatever materials you get from one though, every bird/animal in the wild has some sort of infestation, some of which can destroy your stock of tying materials very quickly - a minute in the microwave usually does the trick.

An easier way to get them is use Lathkill http://www.lathkill.com

or Cookshill

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk

I've bought a few bits and pieces from Lathkill, mostly rod building stuff - they're excellent.

I picked up a couple of bits from Cookshill at the CLA Gamefair, so I can't comment about their delivery times or the like but their stock, if the stuff they had at the game fair is anything to go by, is spot on. The website looks a bit basic though ;-)

Hope that helps,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Guest sslatter

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I checked-out a couple of local keepers that I know last summer, and they said they could get me the stuff I wanted, once they had caught and killed the two bird species in question. I said no way. I didn't want them to kill anything just for the purpose of getting me some materials. I've tried looking for roadkills from taxidermists, and in antique auction sites for the two types of bird feather I'm after, but to no avail. I even went looking for 'moults' in areas where one of the bird species is known to congregate in the autumn. But they spook so easily, and I didn't find anything.

I'll check out the websites though..thanks again for the tips.

Hmm... I think you may be out of luck with both of those my friend.

There are different levels of protection afforded to different creatures under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 - I'll keep looking but off the top of my head I think you'll find it's actually illegal to have any part thereof in your possesion, regardless of how you came by it so you're seriously unlikely to find someone who'll sell you any - I doubt you'd get caught picking up moulted feathers to use though ;-)

Have a look at http://www.naturenet.net/law/birds.html for a bit more info.

If you've got an idea of the shape, colour and dimensions of the feathers it's pretty likely an alternative could be found.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Guest sslatter

Yep Adz..they're both protected under the act, and fair enough. That's why I've been trying to find roadkill/taxidermy/antique specimens, but in two years of looking, I only found one (extremely manky) stuffed Skylark in a south coast auction house,(went for £18), another one that a taxidermist wanted £45 for, and a stuffed Pied Flycatcher that another taxidermist wanted £75 for. I've seen similar on the web, but it's far too much to pay. Last Autumn I went out 'moult-hunting' in a Skylark flocking area, but you know what they're like. Unless you want to spend days sitting dead still, they spook really easily. They are seriously hard to get close to, and I didn't find any moults. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid. What will probably happen is that in twenty years time, I'll be sitting in some field somewhere, and one will fly down, and moult right in front of me. Oh well..

Anyway Adz, I appreciate your efforts. Thanks.