Salmon

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

Okay...here are 4 photos, pretty inconclusive now. By the time I got back there the gulls had eaten most of the back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I turned the fish over for those last two pics. You can get an idea of how the hump was by looking at what's left of the hump, the angle behind the head.

Posted Image

The rose tinge is still visible in this pic.

It looks to me like a dead male Atlantic Salmon, the ones caught through out Scotland and the UK. I could be wrong though.

Its like a dead version of one I returned in October. They sure do turn vicious looking when they at the end of the season.

This would of been a nice fish to have caught in the summer months :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Yes, looks like an Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar).

In the lower picture you can see the anal fin only has about ten rays or so (typical of Salmo salar), whereas both the humpback and coho salmon have more than twelve rays.

Another give-away is the lack of spots on the tail - humpies have spotted tails (like rainbow trout).

..but thanks Graham for posting the original sighting and following it up - it gave us all something to think about during the salmon close season.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest sslatter

...and thanks to you and everybody else for their replies. It's just a shame that the 'hump' had gone by the time I got back there-it really did look odd.

It was also very interesting to read the stuff about Pink Salmon, both here and on the Web. Keeps me occupied while I await the return of the mullet. Chub and pike fishing have really lost their sparkle since I discovered Chelon Labrosus. I still find roach fishing great though, while the mullet are away. :)