salmon fishing in south yorkshire

craig mason

You need a Salmon and Migratory Trout licence to fish for them - cost is £60 odd instead of the usual £20 odd.

It's also illegal to keep salmon in England and Wales before June 16th.

Tackle should be strong with plenty of backing on the reel - they fight with the strength of a freshly hooked pike but tend to go in for much longer runs up or downstream than any other fish you can catch in the UK than I can think of.

Incidentally, the penalties for poaching salmon or sea trout without the appropriate licence are far stiffer than fishing for coarse fish without one - best bet is, don't!

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

I dont think the salmon are in any numbers, not enough to fish for. You can catch them on an ordinary rod licence if you are fishing for trout ? but they must be returned , a good idea anyway as wild stocks are at an all time low. Bob c