Advice Please

nursejudy

Judy we are of like mind, i just asked the question on another forum yesterday, 3 replies

My question

(1)has anyone tried or has/have the close up lens filters=+1-=+2 =+4 =+10.

are they worth it as in value for money, do they make a big difference or can you not tell the difference.

(2)any thoughts on ND filters

(3) thoughts on colour polarizers. IE the red green orange yellow

Reply No 1

Close up lenses are really not that relevant today, with the availability of macro on most modern lenses. They were useful to reduce the minimum focus distance of lenses, "reading glasses for your standard lens" if you will. They also introduce a fair bit of barrel distortion to you lens.

ND filters are more useful, although again with the abailty to change ISO speed on digital cameras, not quite as necessary today. Here is an article on their use.

Graduated ND filters are much more useful, particularly in landscape photography, where you can manipulate the sky etc. Cokin make a very good range not only neutral, ie grey, but various colours as well.

Haven't used the colour polarizers, so can't comment, they do give some interesting effects though.

Reply No 2

Supplemental close up lenses are handy if you don't have interchangeable lenses, or can't afford a macro-lens.

In the single-element filters, quality is from fair to lousy. The weak ones are mostly Ok, but the strong ones cost a fair bit for quality---a cheap one (eg. mine) will give overall softness and hideous barrel distortion. Don't use them wide open, stop down a fair bit. The better multi-element diopters (eg from raynox) are reputed to be really good, (maybe search on flickr.com for your camera model + raynox, to find examples).

ND filters have their place, when you want to increase shutter time or use a wider aperture for selective focus.

Polarizers are handy, but coloured effects I'd just do digitally nowadays.

Reply No 3

Close-up lenses can enable extreme close-up, beyond the macro capability, even to the extent of allowing the object distance to be within the lens (theoretically) - which is physically impossible.

Anything you add to the optical path will generally reduce depth of focus. To regain depth of focus, you must reduce the aperture; the same as when you squint your eyes in darker environments. To compensate, you may be able to increase the exposure time, which could be awkward for action shots or a poorly-mounted camera. Massaging the ISO setting should sort out the optimum for each condition.

I did google after reading these and there are so many different views i may just bite the bullet and buy 1 Graduated ND filter and see how the results go.

Im pretty sure i read something on here either by cameraman or chippy regarding filters.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Well I am am virtually a filter virgin :o I possess 2 filters,a ND and a grad ND.Just started using them in the last month or so.What a difference it makes. Do not burn out the sky so much now.In fact with my sunrise shots sometimes put both in to get a longer exposure on a lower ISO and I think I am getting better results from it.

Way to go Snatcher :rolleyes: may even go for a polaroid filter next and then thats me sorted! I suppose I will need to buy another filter holder then? I assume the polaroid filters will be round? :huh:

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I am the last to advise on filters . . . :lol: However, if you want to protect you lens glass a UV filter is worth while, has advantagouse effects on the final picture, eliminates the blue cast see on sunny days. A polerising filter is usefull but depends on how the lens operates, 'internal focusing'? ND and Grads, thats for the more expeianced to go at explaining. I have just posted my experiance so far with 'cheap filters' from fleeBay, definatly 'buyer beware'. By the way Judy, you have a 55mm lens thead, sorry if you already new :D

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Well I am am virtually a filter virgin :o I possess 2 filters,a ND and a grad ND.Just started using them in the last month or so.What a difference it makes. Do not burn out the sky so much now.In fact with my sunrise shots sometimes put both in to get a longer exposure on a lower ISO and I think I am getting better results from it.

Way to go Snatcher :rolleyes: may even go for a polaroid filter next and then thats me sorted! I suppose I will need to buy another filter holder then? I assume the polaroid filters will be round? :huh:

So you using Cokin ND/Grad system Snatcher? More info please :D

SW

Yep Cokin - must dash as about to use them in anger - hopefully!!!

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Well I did go out for a dawn shot this morning but the light was flat as a witches :rolleyes: The idea was to frame this coble with the sunrise - I will have my day!!!!

IMG_8430.jpg

Back to filters.These are the two I possess.

IMG_8431.jpg

Any advice on "must have" filters gladly taken on.Bearing in mind 99% of my shots are lanscapes/seascapes.Although I might branch out into a few family/friends portrait shots.

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Any advice on "must have" filters gladly taken on.Bearing in mind 99% of my shots are lanscapes/seascapes.Although I might branch out into a few family/friends portrait shots.

John

Hay Snatcher, Branch out, I thought you were no.1 expert in 'Pubscapes' :rolleyes::lol:

Looking at Coking filters for the spring/summer, seems a lot of us are thinking this way?

SW