Snow patrol

n4lly

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a proper set of chains you should be able to go pretty much anywhere you please in a 2wd as long as the snow is not deep enough to impede the bumpers/body of the machine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

With a proper set of chains you should be able to go pretty much anywhere you please in a 2wd as long as the snow is not deep enough to impede the bumpers/body of the machine.
Chains are an optional extra over here Newt. The majority of folks wouldn't know how to fit a set to their cars.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not just a UK thing mind. I flew into Colorado in February 1994 for on a winter ski trip, they'd had a bumper snow fall, and vehicles were abandoned in several places, lots of accidents witnessed too. And these were mainly 4x4s in an area known for it's snow and ice.

Geoff

4x4 drivers who aren't used to bad conditions tend to put too much faith in 4wd. A little surprising up in that area unless you were seeing vehicles driven by tourists or newly arrived folks though.

4wd on ice is pretty much worthless unless two of the wheels have chains. OK in snow until it is packed down to ice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

When I was a young man it was not unusual to see cars with a set of chains fitted in the snow. I can still recall the "rattling" noise they made.

I would be surprised if very many stores even stock them nowadays, we have had so many mild winters over the last twenty years or so. Would they actually be legal today?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

When I was a young man it was not unusual to see cars with a set of chains fitted in the snow. I can still recall the "rattling" noise they made.

I would be surprised if very many stores even stock them nowadays, we have had so many mild winters over the last twenty years or so. Would they actually be legal today?

There you go, Den:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_202001

I reckon most people who buy them are going on holiday in Europe, probably skiing.

I've heard that these are OK too:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

A little surprising up in that area unless you were seeing vehicles driven by tourists or newly arrived folks though.

Actually, it was the height of the winter holiday season, so you've probably got a point there Newt.

Edit: It obviously is just us useless Brits then! :lol:

Edited by Angly

Geoff

There you go, Den:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_202001

I reckon most people who buy them are going on holiday in Europe, probably skiing.

I've heard that these are OK too:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

In certain aras of France in the winter time you MUST have your chains with you. If the conditions require it you MUST fit them. Chains are no use if you can see the tarmac so if the snow is patchy they are not much help and may damage your tires.

In Sweden and Norway where they have lots of snow the don't salt the roads in winter, it's too cold for salt to work, everyone drives on studded tyres.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In much of Northern Europe, it's normal to have winter and summer tyres - not necessarily studded tyres, but tyres with a compound and tread pattern appropriate to dealing with tarmac temperatures under 7C, water, slush, snow and ice. I know quite a few people in the UK who do the same, particularly owners of high performance cars with standard tyres optimised for warm dry tarmac. It may only snow for a few days a year, but it's cold and wet for months. If I relied on it to get me to work, I'd probably fit them to my car from November to March - the standard Bridgestones need particular care on cold or damp tarmac, and are useless in the snow. It's due a new set of tyres now (they're down to about 3mm) and I'm going to change to a different Bridgestone pattern which is said to be much better in the wet and just as good in the dry.