Tying a Greenwells Glory

Paul_D

I've been tying up some of the above using the traditional ingredients (plus a tail, which I prefer). I'm having grief finishing off a whip finish with the Pearsals silk snapping off readily due to the applied Cobblers wax. Now I guess the solution would be not to go into full flight with a whip finish but to pull tight after each whip or half hitch or to judge the application of the wax and ensure there is none on the thread at the point of tying off.....what says you?

Paul

Yes I'm trying to tie the authentic pattern so that I can use a good one for framing but, as I say, I'm having a devil of a job getting a neat head as the waxed thread will not pull tight easily without breaking. I've only got clear varnish at present so I'll see if I can slope off work during the day and nip to Lathkills in Halifax for some coloured stuff and see what results I get......

Paul

Well it doesn't look right with no wax on the thread forming the head....too yellow making it look out of proportion.

Paul

It sounds like ou may be using a whip finishing tool if you are don't as your fingers are much more sensitive and warmer!

Before you whip finish warm the tips of your fingers and rub them up and down the silk to soften the wax a tad and then whip finiish with warm fingers and you should have no problems

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

No I'm not using a tool...I can't get on with the things (Matarelli (sp) excepted). I will try the finger warming trick tonight though. Thanks.

Paul

Didn't tie any flies last night. Went fishing during the day and had to de-frost on the sofa whilst watching Arsenal with a beer or two.

Paul

Good Grief a Tyke whatching Arsenal whatever next!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Alan, worked a treat....thanks. In fact, warming the wax by rubbing it between your fingers has worked it into the silk and produced a much more even colouration along the body of the fly as well.

P.S. I'd sooner watch them than 'dirty Leeds' unless of course they're losing.

Paul