advice req.

john

I've never caught anything other than Brown Trout and Grayling using the method....but I'm way down at the bottom of the learning curve. What are you thinking of targeting?

Paul

I've used czech nymph technique and have caught 3 Dace, 1 Chubb & bizarrly an eel, although I was fishing for Brown Trout a the time. This was on the river Coquet, Northumberland. Best of British to you, but perhaps you'd be better off with, maggotts, sweetcorn, swimfeeders, 4 rods and a bivvy.

Pablo

the nymphs work best in deep FAST water, thus you won't find many coarse fish there. In Still waters I use buzzer nymphs and haresear nymphs to good effect for rudd and perch, also the occaisional carp, Dry flies also work well.

anglingireland.info

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Guest NickInTheNorth

I had the good fortune to spend several hours in the company of one of the leading exponents of czech nymph style fishing several years ago. Not being very good at czech I've forgotten his name, but he was across in the UK doing some demo's of fishing and fly tying and I believe spending some time with Oliver Edwards.

On the subject of what species can be caught he was most emphatic that it is a VERY good method for catching anything that swims as long as the water is fairly fast flowing, and reasonably deep. The essentials as I remember them are the weight of the nymph, and the speed it is allowed to travel through the swim.

It should be fished on a very short line (1 to 1.5 rod lengths maximum!), and the usual practice is to fish a team of 2 or 3 nymphs, carefully adjusting the weight of each one so that the bottom nymph just trips along the bottom at or slightly slower than the speed of the current - at the river bed!

He reckoned that one of the easiest fish to catch using the method was the barbel.

The day I was with him he took several chub, a dace and some roach, together with a lot of trout and grayling from a swim just upstream of Pool bridge on the river wharfe in Yorkshire. The most amazing aspect of the whole thing was that he was standing in the river about ten feet from the bank standing in about 12 inches of water, and fishing a deepish run (3 feet or so) literally under the bank.

Most amazing demonstration of fish catching I've ever seen.

thanks for the replies. as it happens the club i belong to (paas) own the fishing upstream of pool bridge. i was thinking of trying for chub and dace on the dane in chesire.