Anyone near R.Rother, Trotton, West Sussex

Anyone near R.Rother, Trotton, West Sussex, on the A 272 between Midhurst & Petersfield?

Just came over the R Rother at Trotton in W Sussex .... it was highly-coloured, grey and lifeless-looking .... is it normally like this? No signs of dead fish though.

I have mentioned it to the EA who say they'll get someone to look at it tomorrow.

No pollution incident has been reported to them.

DG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry DG Im at the Rye end in E.Sussex.A bit worrying please keep us informed.A grey colouration is often associated with one of the worse types of pollution-dairy.On my way back from work I will check it out here.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Didn't realise you were in Rye Budgie, it always seemed like such a nice place to me. :)

My goddaughter has the Martello bookshop in the high street.

[ 31. May 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Sorry, DG, I'm at the Rye end in E.Sussex. A bit worrying; please keep us informed. A grey colouration is often associated with one of the worse types of pollution:dairy. On my way back from work I will check it out here.

Budgie,

Your Rother is safe!

:)

This is ...

R. Rother, Trotton, West Sussex, on the A 272 between Midhurst & Petersfield

Posted Image

The EA have promised to phone me back, so I'll keep you posted, although checking it two days after the report isn't a very speedy response, and I know it's a Bank Holiday.

The Rother runs into the Arun north of Arundel; the Arun runs into the sea at Littlehampton which is where I was fishing the tidal section.

The Arun looked great .. nice & clear with a green tinge, such a contrast with the Rother, which you'd think would be a nice clear river as it originates in the chalky Downs.

The EA Fisheries guy sounded very laid-back, on the basis that no-one had reported anything :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll let you know what transpires. Your Rother is safe

DG

[ 31. May 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cyranne 12:

Thanks for the alarm DG---Rother Angling Club are now taking an interest-----it doesn't get looked at much during the Closed Season

Hi, Brian

Brilliant! Great that you are closer-by and on the case. I can't believe that the Rother is normally a grey, weedless soup ... I know there were a few very heavy showers in the area at the time, so it may have been up a tad, but it looked really weird and depressing. Let's hope it's nothing untoward ... but best be safer than sorry. Please let me know what Rother AC report

This forum is great! There's usually some top guy (or gal) right on the scene.

I hope the Rother is sorted in-time for the 16th

Tight lines

DG

[ 31. May 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Got the Membership sec driving out to Woolbeeding to take a better look---- the Mill pool in Midhurst looks pretty much as one would expect after a shower.The river is normally vaguely colured and slow running between Petersfield and Midhurst----I share your hope that it shall be good on the 16th :)

quote:

Originally posted by Cyranne 12:

Got the Membership sec driving out to Woolbeeding to take a better look---- the Mill pool in Midhurst looks pretty much as one would expect after a shower.The river is normally vaguely colured and slow running between Petersfield and Midhurst----I share your hope that it shall be good on the 16th :)

Cyranne

Good ... the EA should also be taking a look at last, today. It was at the little hump-backed road bridge (A272) over the Rother at Trotton, half-way between Midhurst & Petersfield, that it looked so grotty

DG

:o DG I had asumed that it was the upper reaches of "my" Rother! Hope all is well down on yours though.

Argyll,I used to live near Rye on the Romney Marsh before I moved abroad.Now Im back living in the UK I am at Ashford,Kent a short distance from Rye.

I know the book shop you mention and I had always thought the girl in there looked like she came from a nice family! :P

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

DG I had asumed that it was the upper reaches of "my" Rother!

Budgie

You can relax! :)

I'm still waiting to hear from the EA .. they've taken even longer than the Fish Records Committee took to get to Derek Amies' two 40s :rolleyes:

DG